stopping mirtazapine

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all i'm new to the forum and having read some f the awful experience of others on this drug i decided to come off before i really get started.I have only been taking 15mg for 10 days now so i've cut them in half and intend to take half for a couple of days before missing a day? am i likely to have the symptoms i've read about with so little use? i would appreciate your thoughts. cheers Simon

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you. I wonder which is worse, continuing with slow taper and drawn out horrid anxiety or just stop quickly and get it over with? My anxiety upon waking is a nightmare no matter if I am working day shift or night shift - always on waking.
    • Posted

I seem like you in a morning and some days improve others not so much i also feel cold and hungry slightly shaky but not all the time i dont like what i've read from others so im tapering off them and good riddance i hope this helps 
  • Posted

I wonder the same too although this drop has been horrid i don't know if it would've been worse if i went cold turkey.

I'm going to carry on as i am reducing each month or so

But I like you cannot wait to be off them

Found the waking is a little better on 30

Scx

• Posted

Hi Simon. . I was on 30mg for 4 months & was told just to come off them.. I didn't find the WD to bad bt some seem to.
  • Posted

I've read a lot about this topic and it looks like you should be OK coming off them gradually. I've been on 15mg for 3 weeks and 30mg for 4 weeks and they've done nothing to me so a few days ago I started reducing the dosage to 15mg. In a few more days I'll go down to 7.5mg.

I've not been on them long like you but expect a few groggy symptoms, I'm yet to have any. I'm actually annoyed my doctor didn't mention the awful symptoms that come with stopping this medication. I'll post again to let you know how it goes. I'm taking these for anxiety and depression.

• Posted

Harry, I've been researching coming off Mirt also, just a little advice I would say to you, If you intend to do a fast taper like you mention above, the very least you might want to try, is to wait at the 15 mg (which is a 50% drop for you ~ which is not for the faint hearted) for at least 2 weeks ... that way you can test the waters, so to speak, for yourself personally, to see if that big a jump is right for you, becuase it's pretty awful if not.

I see you were only on Mirt for 7 weeks, but I think that is long enough to get into your system.  Just hate reading of peoples suffering when it can be avoided.

Sometimes WD can seem liek it has passed you by, then after 2 weeks BAM, it hits hard, for most, we're all different, but to be warned is to be armed.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Appreciate the advice. I really can't afford to have a bad time with withdrawal symptoms because I go back to work tomorrow after a couple of months signed off. I will certainly stay on 15mg for a couple of weeks then go to 7.5mg. I think your advice should be taken by everybody coming off this medication.

The withdrawal symptoms won't last forever, I actually wish I never started them because I coped (just) without them for a number of years but it's a route I've never tried before so at the very least I can say I tried.

• Posted

Good for you Harry, hope the drop goes well for you.  Let us know 

Best wishes

• Posted

No change in medication symptoms, stills on 15mg but just q little side note that I was hoping to get some opinions on.

I was signed off from work two months with depression and anxiety. I returned yesterday doing half days for a month before returning to my fully contacted hours. Yesterday was fine, I have a stress free job which has not been the cause of my mental health problems, it's been in my personal life. Anyway, today within an hour myself aches and pains returned along with headache and serious fatigue. I know this is a symptom of depression and anxiety but it's awful and I'm only moaning now because having the two months off work these symptoms were much less, almost gone because I wasn't exerting energy. I've lived like this for 5 years and today I couldn't believed I've put upon with it so long. It's got me so down and I'm hoping people's car relate top think because i a lonely place not know anybody elsewhere like this. May some advertising too because I really don't know what to do.

• Posted

Apologies for the grammar, I didn't proof read. I was in rant mode.
    • Posted

Sorry to read of your symptoms Harry.  I wouldn't be so hard on yourself you know.  The thing with Mirtazapine, it finds your weak spot and kind of grinds into it.  Returning to work after 2 months, for anyone, well or otherwise, is a hard thing to do, so give yourself a little pat on the back.

I would say dropping from the 30mg 3 weeks ago is the cause of these symptoms, headaches, aches & pains, fatigue - check all those & you'll find them on the Mirtazapine listed withdrawal symptoms.  

Have you tried any other AD's?  

I think these will improve but you might have to wait a while, rest up when you can.  My withdrawal from 15 mg is now 3.9 mg (with liquid Mirt) and I suffer the fatigue mainly, and feeling low for a few days then up again.  

I can't begin to tell you how important I think it is to go slow, and wait until the symptoms have passed before doing a smaller taper.

Have you tried any therapy at all, self help or CBT?  Mindfulness meditation?  Trying to stay positive and see the good helps me, I have taught myself this after chronic agitated depression and insomnia which lasted for months before Mirt.  

• Posted

Sorry I don't think I was too clear in my message. These symptoms have been present since my anxiety and depression came on 5 years ago. I've had no day at work where I've had any energy whilst felling spaced out, unable to focus or concentrate as well as my body aching all over to the point I can barely work. My sleep is a main cause because I wake a lot and my quality of sleep is poor, never achieve deep sleep. The mirtazapine withdrawal is just adding to that but my overall question is how do I change this. I practice mindfulness daily, have been for 3 years and exercise daily whilst eating healthy. Cbt as well as other self help techniques. All of this has done nothing but I still do it. I start face to face counselling in a month, thinking this is all I haven't done so all eggs in one basket as it feels I have tried everything with no improvement. I feel like I've hijacked this forum so I apologise if I've strayed off topic.
    • Posted

No you havn't hijacked, I havn't heard of body aching all over as a depression symptom, are you saying its due to chronic fatigue from lack of sleep maybe, that figures, must be awful, poor thing.  Do you know the cause of that onset 5 years ago?  You don't have to tell anyone here, I was just wondering if you had not come to terms with the suffering at some time in your life.  

I hope you find a good therapist, sounds like you've done all the ground work with CBT, Mindfulness etc, those tools will help you along the therapy route too, so win win.

I know I bang on about doing a slow WD, that is the only answer to your question above "The mirtazapine withdrawal is just adding to that but my overall question is how do I change this"

You say you have been on Mirt for 7 weeks, I think that is time enough for it to get under your skin really; how many days is it since you dropped from the 30mg ??

You might be lucky and get away with any bad wd, a few do, none I've come across on here, they don't come back mostly.

If you can hang on being at the 15mg until you start your therapy, that would be a great support for you no?  

Best wishes Harry

• Posted

Bereavement was part cause. But even before that I'd never really enjoyed life in general. The fatigue and body aching is due to all my thoughts and fears, the poor sleep is the one thing I'd love to solve but I'm aware it's all linked together.

I cut my mirtazapine dosage to 15mg 6 days ago and I can honestly say I've noticed no change what so ever. I've decided to not take any medication once I've tapered off this. I don't it's worth all the problems that come with it but I respect that it helps a lot of people but its just not for me.

What you said about coming to terms with things that have happened really hit home, I'm bitter about things and I'm going to look into that. I've started making notes which I'll take when I begin counselling, I don't want to miss anything out.

• Posted

Sounds like you've waited a long time for counselling, and the time can be so precious and pass quickly when you've only got limited timed appointment, so yeh, take notes in with you, good plan that.  Have you got a start date?
    • Posted

I will be receiving a call within the next month to confirm my first appointment. Starting mirtazapine was meant to be a crutch as I was at a low point a couple of months ago. But thinking about it, I'm use to feeling low so easy in hindsight to say I regret starting them. Coming off them is my next challenge but so far so good. Still on 15mg. In a couple of weeks I'll be going down to 7.5mg.
    • Posted

Hi Harry

How you doing on the 15mg now?  Must be about day 12 for you?  Hope you get the call for support soon, wishing you well Harry smile  

• Posted

Two weeks tomorrow since I went from 30mg to 15mg and very little affect on me which I hope is encouraging to anybody else looking to taper off mirtazapine.

One more week of 15mg then I'm going down to 7.5mg.

I will update in a couple of weeks.

• Posted

Glad to hear its going well for you Harry, hope you stay well.  Look after yourself.
    • Posted

I started 7.5mg of mirtazapine 4 days ago. I am feeling slightly irritable but nothing too bad.

In the last 5 weeks I've been tapering off mirtazapine. Original dose was 30mg.

I hope I can come off them in 6 to 8 weeks time. I'm not fearing any withdrawal symptoms, maybe that's helping me get through it.

• Posted

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Harry.  You could be an exception to the rule of suffering fast tapering ... a very small percentage can get through the levels this quickly ~ just look out for any symptoms and slow down if necessary, but I wish you well Harry ... how are you feeling?  Any different at all.

The lower doses can be more sedaring, and makes it difficult to prize yourself off the mattress in the morning (!).  Keep in touch, be good to follow your story.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I think you're right. I must be one of the lucky ones. Had a few moments where I've been overwhelmed by things but that's fairly common for me.

Other than feeling slight irritable I've been fine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.