Stopping PPIs

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed PPIs in July by my GP to help to lessen the symptoms of Laryngopharygeal Reflux - post nasal drip, heartburn etc.  However their side effects became unbearable - in particular chronic diarrhia.  So I decided to stop taking the PPIs, but since stopping them I've really not felt well at all.  My stomach feels very tender, as if I've been kicked;  I also feel periodically nauseous, and am getting some heart burn.  My GP didn't give me any advice about stopping PPIs - didn't seem to be aware that I could get withdrawal symptoms.  It's probably too late now, since I stopped taking them nearly a week ago, but does anybody have a similar experience?  And how long do you think it will take before I get back to normal?  Incidentally, I am using a number of self-help strategies to alleviate the reflux eg: extreme care with diet, licorice, occasional use of Gaviscon advance when necessary, fermented cabbage which I've heard is very good for the gut. I'd be very grateful for any advice as I don't want to go back on PPIs if I can help it! 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Pat, I have had similar symptoms to you and have also stopped taking PPIs and also being careful with my diet. There's no telling how long it can take for your body to get back into balance but I am feeling much better since changing my diet and taking some supplements. It sounds like you are doing the right things. I find that drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning and sipping ginger root tea throughout the day especially after meals helps tremendously with digestion. Also some good quality probiotics also have helped me. I consulted a nutritionist and did some tests to find that I had a severe imbalance of bacteria in my gut, a yeast overgrowth and parasites! So I have been working on sorting that out. Hope this helps - wish I had this information when I was at the start of my journey towards health.

• Posted

Hi sandy,

I was taking, oregano, berberine complex, and garlic on rotation for a couple of months with probiotics and l-glutamine. Now as the symptoms have lessened, I am taking ecobalance which contains 4 tablets/capsules which are garlic, probiotics, cinnamon, and l-glutamine. Also on vitamin d and multivitamins plus aloe vera juice. Feel free to ask more questions about specifics

• Posted

Thank you. I am not taking any supplements as yet as am awaiting results of a recent Gastroscopy am still on PPI's until I get the results. But am really watching my diet!
    • Posted

Stearing clear of anything spicy. No alcohol, no fizzy drinks, no citrus fruits. small helpings. I have symptoms for 3 months which started out of the blue with heartburn so it's very much trial and error.
    • Posted

Yes heartburn was pretty much the first sign of my issues. I did a food intolerance test through the York test (blood test) and it came back with an intolerance to yeast as well as milk and eggs. It really helps to know what things to avoid as before this I used to get headaches at least once a week and since taking out eggs I don't get many headaches anymore. As for the yeast When I drank white wine, it would

Cause me to clear my throat all evening. The stool test was very insightful though - definitely worth doing if anyone out there is confused about their symptoms especially if doctors don't know what it is or what to do about it rather than guessing and throwing PPIs such as lanzoprazole or omeprazole as they did to me.

• Posted

Thanks very much for your response.  I too have found that ginger root tea is very soothing.  I'm interested in the probiotics and haven't heard of the ones you mention, so will certainly look them up.  I think that PPIs do awful things to the bacteria in the gut and am hoping that its possible to get the balance right again.  Good luck and I hope that your journey to better health doesn't take too long!
    • Posted

Hi,

Looking at your post, the nutritionist you spoke to was that person recomended / how did you get hold of them?

Thanks...

• Posted

So sorry that you are feeling so unwell. You seem to be doing all the right things with diet etc. it's early days hopefully all will settle down for you. 
  • Posted

I did not take PPI's for long enough to become attached, but I have seen on here, that when you stop, (PPI) your symptoms for a while are stronger for a period. It is as if all the symptoms the PPI's kept at bay while on, are saved and come in a wave to bite you. But that period will end and you, are as others have said, your doing all the right things.
    • Posted

Thanks - if I'd known the problems that PPIs can cause, I'd have done everything I could to avoid taking them.  I think that current thinking about the effectiveness of PPIs in the medical profession is beginning to change - thank goodness. 
  • Posted

I am sorry you have such problems with ppi. I have been taking ppi for almost two years, never had any problems, they help a lot too me together with dieting. Maybe you need to change to different ppi? Some may affect us better than others.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I've tried Omeprazole and Lanzaprozole but both of them caused diarrhea - I'm not sure if I dare to try anything else apart from being very careful with my diet! 
    • Posted

Hi Irina - sorry to butt in but I suggest you thoroughly research the long term effects of PPI's. There are now warning labels on the pavkets in some countries advising to only use for 2 to 8 weeks. The biggest problems are your body can no longer absorb all the nutrients due to low acid and you end up with osteo (super serious), low iron and most importantly low magnesium. In case you havent come across this magnesium controls your heart speed so is pretty important stuff I

would think? Anyway if you are like most of us sufferers here they will stop working for you as well. Sadly there seems to be no quick fix no matter where one looks.

• Posted

Hello Rex,

You are right, taking ppi is not good. I myself think about it all the time. But when I ask the doctors they say it is ok and stop reading Internet.

And what is the alternative? Suffer all the time clearing throat and caughing? I tried to decrease dosage but it works for a few days and after starts getting worse. Besides that it damage lining of esafacus. So I do not know what to do. I know people who have been taking ppi for many years and they say that they are ok.

Being on the diet is not enough. At least for me.

Do you have any advise?

• Posted

Hi irina, perhaps see a nutritionist if you afford it. They can suggest supplements to help. Or homeopath - although I haven't tried that. But I can vouch for nutritionist and that has helped me a lot.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.