Stopping PPIs

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed PPIs in July by my GP to help to lessen the symptoms of Laryngopharygeal Reflux - post nasal drip, heartburn etc.  However their side effects became unbearable - in particular chronic diarrhia.  So I decided to stop taking the PPIs, but since stopping them I've really not felt well at all.  My stomach feels very tender, as if I've been kicked;  I also feel periodically nauseous, and am getting some heart burn.  My GP didn't give me any advice about stopping PPIs - didn't seem to be aware that I could get withdrawal symptoms.  It's probably too late now, since I stopped taking them nearly a week ago, but does anybody have a similar experience?  And how long do you think it will take before I get back to normal?  Incidentally, I am using a number of self-help strategies to alleviate the reflux eg: extreme care with diet, licorice, occasional use of Gaviscon advance when necessary, fermented cabbage which I've heard is very good for the gut. I'd be very grateful for any advice as I don't want to go back on PPIs if I can help it! 

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Anastasia Sandy and Pat, I have been coughing for 2 years since I had pneumonia. Finally had Endoscopy today and waiting for biopsy results. Dr said severe oesophagitis and lax sphincter/hiatus hernia. He assumes all the coughing weakened the sphincter which allowed the acid through which caused the cough and irritated the lining! I stopped taking Omeprazole 40mg last year as I got hip pain and I know it leaches Calcium from bones!! But I've had to restart today. I really would like to lose weight, change diet, and basically do self hep to conquer this thing without it costing a fortune in pills. What is the Oregano that was mentioned ? a tablet herb and what does it do? Do I need to see a Nutritionist?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.