Stopping Progesterone for one week out of two months

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor is recommending that I stop taking progesterone for one week out of every two months. I've been on estradiol patch (no longer do creams or pills) and progesterone pills for over 15 years and feel great. I'm 69 and can pass for 55 in looks and energy. I also take Nature-Throid thyroid supplement since the thyroid is the mother of all hormones.

I know that I may spot/bleed  a little bit if I stop taking the progesterone for a week and I'm not looking forward to that. Does anyone out there have an experience with this time-out period from progesterone as part of their health regime?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lindacarol

Do you still have a uterus?  I stopped taking progesterone earlier this year after having a hysterectomy.  I asked the woman pharmacist what difference it would mean and she said that I'd feel better.  I wasn't sure about what "better" meant as I'd always felt great.  However, I do notice that I don't have dips in moods being off the progesterone.  Isn't it the oestrogen that makes a difference in skin and looks rather than progesterone?  I too look at least 10 years younger or that's what people tell me.  I'm not concerned about how old I look, it's more about feeling great and maintaining fitness.  Cheers Lyn

• Posted

Ok, both you ladies are making me jealous. 

Lindacarol, do you mind if I ask your patch strength at age 69?  And how much progesterone were you taking with it?  Was it oral?  Once or twice a day?  Sounds like you’ve been at this for many years.  Sorry if I sound snoopy, but it’s always great to hear what works well for women. 

My guess, for whatever it’s worth, is that one week off the progesterone won’t be that big of a deal.  But obviously if that small change upsets your system you can always go back to what  obviously works well for you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.