STOPPING VALIUM COLD TURKEY. ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Posted , 16 users are following.

I'm having to stop taking valium cold turkey, as my psych has not mailed me a script for it. I've been waiting 2 weeks, rang her office a few times, but still no script in the mail. She did this to me on another occasion too. I have been weaning off this and was down to 3 and a half 5mg tabs per day, from 4. Luckily, I'd been taking less than she prescribed while tapering or I'd have none at all in the last 2 weeks. It's now Saturday and I have none left. I had to also quit zopiclone ct for the same reason. She did not mail me my script. They were both well and truly due! Went through excruciating, agonizingly intense withdrawals, with 6 sleepless nights, when I stopped the zopiclone. Got through it, with much prayer, and received great comfort and the strength to cope with that. Now, this has happened to me. I don't know why she didn't mail me my script and will be ringing her up 1st thing Monday morning. I am cancelling my next appt with her. I am done with her. She told me zopiclone is non-addictive. I trusted her. That was nearly a year ago. Have since researched it, printed out the latest research that show just how HIGHLY ADDICTIVE it ks. Gave it to her at my last appt. She actually had a quick look at it, kept it, but said she's never had any other of her patients complain or say they had withdrawal symptoms when they stopped taking it. Well I said I did. Anyway, that's not my question here now. I have already been experiencing severe anxiety, nausea, shakiness, sweats, all that comes when in withdrawal, as I sure know the symptoms by now, having experienced it before, because of cutting down too fast. Now with none left, I'm very frightened! I've done some research, found a link to click on to take me to Professor Ashton's weaning off valium plan. Everything I've read, says it is very dangerous to suddenly stop taking valium (diazepam). I'm trying not to panic. I'm praying constantly, as I have a great faith in the power of the Lord, as He certainly came through for me when stopping zopiclone. I'm asking if anyone has had to go through the withdrawal symptoms of coming off valium, their advice, support and encouragement and what can I do that may be of help in easing this painful withdrawal period? In the past 4 days, I've been taking only 1, splitting it into quarters, but still suffering rather badly. I will gladly suffer longer, if necessary, to finally be free of this horrific addiction, where it was no longer working for me anyway. I have been addicted to it for 3 years this time round. I'd stopped needing it 4 yrs ago, after being addicted to it for about 20 yrs. Stupidly went back on it for another medical problem, not anxiety. (Long story). Got addicted again, when I should have known better, but...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

THANK YOU!

6 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am sorry to learn of your plight, it seems to me that your doctor needs replacing because I know from personal experience just how frightening the symptoms can be with withdrawal.

Over thirty years ago I was prescribed 30 mg's of Valium daily, as it was then known, and it slowed me down no end, so one day I decided to take myself off it, and the withdrawal was like the world had stopped turning, I couldn't sleep, I was just so spaced out. But eventually I did adjust and haven't had it since.

In those days doctors were writing out the prescription before you sat down in front of him/her, and these strong tranquilisers were dished out out like sweets. And the whole point of my story is that I didn't need them anyway.

I would always recommend talking therapies like Cognitive Behaviour Therapy; beats drugs any day. But I wish you well in your battles with your doctor and hope it all works out well for you. Regards

• Posted

Thanks john488, I'm happy to report that I managed to stop valium ct. 2 weeks of withdrawals, but I received the strength from praying to God & believing He would see me through. I am now free! I've never felt more peaceful & so joyful. Feel like writing to the prescribing psych to thank her for not sending me the scripts. To anyone wishing to get off this poison, it can be done. You won't die by stopping ct, though it should be done under medical supervision. I told my GP I could do it. My faith was all I needed. No-one has to be a slave to this addiction! The freedom is worth all the withdrawal symptoms, as they do pass!
  • Posted

Hello,

I've been in the position you'r in through too quickly reducing the pills and I had bad side effects. It was a different GP who changed the [prescription, when my GP came back and saw the dose he increased it and told me about the dangers of sudden reduction.

Can you talk to your GP? I'm sure he will have seen and know all about diazepam reduction and will be able to help you. I can really feel for you and urge you to get in touch with someone who can see you quickly, or even just a phone call. Withdrawal, as I'm sure you know should be medically monitored as its a physical problem, not a mental one.

I'm reducing now, but the only thing is it makes my fibro so much worse, as well as my osteoarthritis. Good luck Sue xx

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for your input. I'm very happy to report that I did indeed, get through the withdrawals. Yes, I know it's a physical one, but brain & body are interconnected. I sweated it out, literally. Many baths helped as well as valerian herbal capsules, calming herbal teas such as vervain, hops, passionflower & scullcap. Lots of water, eating healthy & taking supps & the minerals calcium & magnesium. Magnesium especially, as it's the cool, calm mineral. Add lots of prayer & faith & it can be done. Eating foods that help balance the neurotransmitters also help, Protein, walnuts, almonds, yogurt,, wholegrains etc. Exercise helps, as it releases the 'feel good; hormones. Studying all this during my withdrawal also helped me get my mind of the shakes, full-blown anxiety, sweats etc. But best of all was prayer. That, more than anything, kept me strong & I didn't lose my joy or sink into depression. I truly believe in the power of prayer, as there truly is a God! A Power greater than the one that is in the world. I never went back to that prescribing doc. My own GP was there if I got into any difficulty, which I didn't. I'm so happy to be free of those 2 drugs, valium & zopiclone. My family say I'm a changed person & certainly one for the better. I'm not snappy, impatient or befuddled anymore, dependent on valium just to stop withdrawal feelings. Yes, it's worth going through those intense withdrawals to be finally free. Keeping that end in sight, also helped give me the strength to keep going. I'm nearly 4 months free of it & that sleeping drug, that mind & soul destroyer zopiclone, & I'll never look back. If anyone is serious about getting off valium, IT CAN BE DONE! And you'll be SO glad you did!

• Posted

I meant to add that I also, have osteoarthritis. I didn't find valium to be helpful in the least, as far as pain goes. Maybe it relaxes you more, so you're not so tensed up which certainly makes pain worse. But I'd rather have physical pain any day, than the mental anguish that comes from being on a useless drug like valium. I am on a pain medication, but fortunately there's no bad side effects, as it doesn't work on the neurotransmitters in the brain, so doesn't cause any mental health problems. There are many alternative pain remedies to use along with a suitable painkiller, that can help with managing pain & that enable you to get pretty good pain relief. It depends on the severity of your osteoarthritis & fibro, as to what your doc will prescribe. Wishing you good luck, Sue & thanks again.

Christine

• Posted

Hello all, just wanted to share my story for some feedback. I've been taking 5mg of Valium a day for about a month and a half. Mostly for back pain (relaxes my muscles) and for stress/anxiety that I get at the end of the day, half from being at home all day, and half from my lovely 3 yr old daughter who is a bit of a handfull. I didn't realize that it was so habit forming, and am trying to get off of it. Is only 5mg a day enough to get withdrawel symptoms? I find that if I haven't taken it by 6 pm, and start getting stressed, I feel like a mild panic attack is coming on, and get short and snappy, and sensitive to loud noises, people talking ect. I would like to get off of it and move on. Any feed back or advice is welcomed. P.s sorry for not starting my own discussion, forum, and wish you the best Christine201 and all others. Cheers! Mark
    • Posted

Hope your doing well Mark and things are getting better for you?  Take Care..
  • Posted

Hi

I am not one for reading but my advice to you is to buy yourself a Book by Dr Claire Weeks,who has a  Method  for you to use (free of chage),I have come thru with help from these books,i was taking 30 mg a day of diazepam & now on a dose of 4 mg a day,& hopefully soon i will be Valium free thank god,The Book i suggest is More Help for your Nerves,she also has a book to help AgoraPhobics

I got my books off eBay (2nd hand)

Good Luck

• Posted

Beware. Never ever go cold turkey with valium I took minor doses of valium for several years I moved to London and had no valium Out of the blue I was thinking about good versus evil then I thought I had cameras watching me I tried to commit suicide and thought people were looking in my Windows waiting to attack me I thought the IRA were after me the Gestapo were going to experiment on me and put me in a box and I was paranoid about everything. I was so terrified I went on the run often walking all night I did this for a couple of months I was taken to a hospital but escaped from there and kept running then the police found me and took me to another hospital where I thought all the staff were out to get me and then transferred to a hospital near my home town. I still thought they were going to harm me. They gave me a pill which made me sick so I flushed it down the toilet and was still very paranoid then they made me take the pills which luckily had been changed to Olanzapine. It was like a miracle I was back to my old self with no paranoia at all. I was discharged a few days later and have never experienced this again which happened about 11 years ago. The thing is I just thought this was bad events in my life had caused this but about a year ago I was on a mental health forum and was told diazepam withdrawal had probably caused this site I gradually came off Olanzapine and I am pleased to say am still mentally normal. I would add when I left the hospital after taking Olanzapine the Psychiatrist said I was in excellent mental health it could have been a different story if the hospital had not given me such excellent treatment I am so grateful for that so NEVER EVER go cold turkey it could destroy you I have been one of the lucky ones able to lead a happy and complete life
  • Posted

Hi Christine

I'm wanting to get off Valium. Would you mind telling me what pain reliever you are using for the osteopathic Pai

Thanks

Linda

• Posted

I've been using diazapan 2mg and zopiclone 7.5 for about 3 years. Some doctors re-prescribe, some fiercly tell me it must be recuded and is temporary. To be honest I am so tired of having to go to the surgery every week and a half and get a prescription I think I will drop the diazapan. My terrible insomnia is another issue. Ive been on computers since 9 as a programmer, and past 40 I remember I just changed, always alert and concentrating. So I feel this might be awkward. I am ready to do this I feel, I must focus on my daily routine, and even in simple things around the house allow as much movement and buisiness as possible; litle by little also taken into note. I've yet to do this, so you are not alone. I feel I am the kind of person who will not wean off this stuff, and might need to just stop. i think though it might be necessary to on some days to do what you need to do. Especially with not being able to sleep and so on. The best of hope to you

• Posted

You should not stop cold turkey. Very dangerous. You need to slowly tapper off. Withdraws from benzo can be deadly if stopped cold turkey.
  • Posted

Hello christine my name is Rami , first off sorry to just barge in like this .

Im jut a little nearvous and im looking for support im on the same rollacoster you where in valium 30 -40 mg for about one year ive tried tapering only to always to start all over even tied taking opiates to help what i understand is that quiting c/t is the besy way to go any advise on what to stay away from how to manage for 1-2 weeks untill the w/d s are gone

• Posted

Hello Rami, I'm with you also in this, I've tried cold turkey and almost every single medical professional speaks against it. It is stick to a routine, keep a med taking spreedsheet or whatever you aught to do. I've been on 2mg Diazepam x2 per day (sometimes 3 if someone does my head in (my trigger I guess); and Zopiclone 7.5mg 1-2 per night for 2-3 years. When I ran out I didn't sleep for 3 days, but I got an emergency appointment and was re-prescribed. In my view controlled usage for a certain time is the way to go, until such a point you are happy to lessen it over time. Everyone is different and even finding the right councillor if you go down that route can take time too. Stick in there. A friend once said you need to get used to yourself again if you have to stop excess. I have to say I made the mistake of having a friend who could get 10mg's diaz illegally. I did this for 2 weeks and have cut it out and gone back like it or not to my medically prescribed quota. I find for me diversion is a good help, like gardening or being busy, little and often. But indeed I am still unable to cold turkey and use them still.

• Posted

Hope it's going well mate, I've had times I run out sooner than the GP's would like me too. All I can say is seek help from your support network or local services if you need to. Mad thing is about this drug, is we all worry or get overwhelmed anyway; sometimes with or without it. A friend who has been through all this before and now works hard again said, you need to get use to yourself again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.