Stopping venlafaxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

On my third day of stopping venlafaxine having tapering off from 225 over the last 6 months. Really struggling today. How long before everything feels normal again? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I’m sorry you are feeling the effects so bad. Unfortunately I don’t know. Have you called the dr? The same thing happened to me with Paxil. After weeks the dr put me on Effexor. Are you planning on going on another med? If so maybe they can give it to you now to ease the side effects of going off of the other meds
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply, i wanted to avoid meds if possible as I feel like I’m too numb being dosed up all the time (I feel like the venlafaxine has got me through some really tough times but I need to start being myself again; be angry when I need to, happy etc instead of just foggy and uncaring).  Difficult to explain. Feel like the meds have covered up the real me at times. 
  • Posted

Hi Bob, what was your final dose? I’m sorry you are finding it tough. I, too had a rotten time coming off this one and had to taper down to 9.25 for a week before coming off altogether. It took me 2 weeks before feeling better. I was advised to drink lots of fluids especially water and to take Omega 3 fish oils which definitely helped. And of course talking to people on here really helped pull me through. Good luck, you’ve got this. 
  • Posted

Well... It will take a while. 225 mg was a high dose so the process has to last for a good few months. If you feel really bad, there are two things which could help: (a) using benzodiazepines (e.g. diazepam, 10 mg per day) when necessary, and (b) substituting venlafaxine with fluoxetine and then stopping fluoxetine (many reports suggest that it's easier). So... if you feel like you cannot handle the withdrawal symptoms, these are the options which you could discuss with your pdoc.

• Posted

Hi Bob. I was blessed to have a great psychiatrist when I came off or changed meds and he eased me off with the most minute dose possible and the side effects were nill really. Or he gently eased me off one and onto another as has been  mentioned. Good luck. Diane. 
  • Posted

Hi Bob

From what I understand, Venlafaxine is one of the most difficult meds to come off of. Are you going onto another med? I also take Venlafaxine - 300mg.

• Posted

Oh man I take venaflaxine. I have not gotten off of it only when the put me in Viibryd. That was a horror. I went back on Venaflaxine. I was so sick that I was in bed for 4 days. I’m sorry I have no advice except to call the doctor and follow their instructions if that does not work for you find a professional who will help you step by step

Lots of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.