Strange erection problem

Posted , 2 users are following.

Three years ago I had an MRI scan which showed I had two herniated discs in my lower back following a fall. A trapped nerve sent pain down the front of my left leg to my ankle but with physio I am pretty fit now. However I have not had a night or morning erection since my incident and lately, although I can achieve a good hard erection standing up, it disappears when I lie down! My blood pressure is normal and I suffer from urinary frequency but that should not affect my erections. Anyone else with this problem?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hey Michael I am of course no doctor and my advice shouldn’t be a precedent over an actual doctors advice but I would say that for one thing, if your head isn’t in the right place or if you start to worry about keeping an erection rather than enjoying the experience, it can play a big role if feeling like there is an issue when more than likely there isn’t one. Also where exactly was the slipped disk issue located? Disk issues that follow L1-5 do not effect nerves surrounding the genitals, your sacral nerves do that. And 2) when laying down blood likes to follow gravity and will naturally go away from the erection, and if your mind is staying wondering and trying to keep the erection then it’s going even more against your favor. Ultimately I would just try to relax and get back to enjoying things rather than worry!
    • Posted

Hi Devin - thanks for your reply and I can assure you that I can keep a strong erection standing up for as long as I like. When I lay down it softens but as soon as I stand up again hey presto! I am not worried - it just seemed strange that it was happening and the lack of night time/morning erections doesn't really affect me. I had 4 months of physio and the hospital were concerned about damage to nerves serving bladder, bowels etc to the extent that I had tests (including DRE to check) they asked if I had night/morning erections n quite a few occasions. At the time I was too preoccupied with the pain and I didn't care whether I had them or not. The MRI report mentions nerve compression from L5 through to S2. I also had numbness down the front of my left leg for 2 years - all gone now. Occasionally I have retrograde ejaculation but that is the Tamsulosin side effect. Incidently I am a fit 76 year old with a large prostate but a recent Cystoscopy showed no problems anywhere. I may give up taking Tamsulosin once I have seen the Urologist again. I do relax and enjoy edging!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.