Strange head pains and tingling... Anxiety?

Posted , 106 users are following.

Hi everyone, I need a bit of advice. I've been suffering the last few months with health anxiety. Doctors have done all the routine blood tests and have said I'm okay and all my symptoms are anxiety related. I'm waiting for CBT but on a long waiting list and am on no medication whatsoever as I'm trying to avoid it.  I'm now able to identify with a lot of my symptoms and deal with them, some days are good and some are pretty awful but I'm getting through it.

Last night however I had something new and it sent me into a panic again.  A few weeks ago I was getting some sharp pains in my head, on the crown area and slightly to the left. Sort of dull aches and then the odd shooting pain.  Anyway, putting it down to just another symptom of anxiety I've tried to ignore it. But as I laid in bed last night I started to get this tingly sensation, not painful but really noticeable and in the exact same position I sometimes get these head pains and it then spread across my head and my face. Then my head started to ache in that same spot. This morning I've woken up and it's still there. My brain likes to tell me that it's a brain tumour as it feels in such a specific part of my head but I'm really hoping it's just another normal symptom. Has anyone else had this? It just feels very unnerving! 

The annoying thing I can't seem to process is that I'm 34 years old, have never suffered from anxiety and then one day I changed for no apparent/obvious reason and I can't seem to get back to my normal self.  It just fuels the worry that there is something really wrong with me. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Lisa

10 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi Lisa,

This was me for a good year and is still me alot of days. I was getting one-sided headaches daily. The pain was not debilitating but it would mix between a throb, an ache, a stabbing pain, a quick shock, a hot feeling, etc. Every once in awhile it would feel really weird and I would think, its a tumour for sure or, a brain aneurysm is going to burst. I got terrible health anxiety that just spiralled out of control. I got blood work and all was fine, and I had a head MRI 4 years ago with no issues so no one wanted to do another. I have been seeing a neurogist who calmed me down and said I have no signs of either health issue.

During all this I developed an anxiety disorder that made me nauseous, dizzy, tingly, weak, shaky, off balance, hot/cold, etc. DAILY. I am 27 and have no other issues and have never suffered from anxiety..it's very different from plain worry/nervousness. When an attack strikes, I am debilitated and convince myself I am dying each time.

I had to pester my doctor for a year and go to the emergency room twice to get properly diagnosed and am still trying to get on a medication that works (currently on amitriplyene).

You are not alone!

• Posted

I just can't believe that anxiety can attack you in many different ways.  I thought I'd had every symptom, and then this happened and the panic started all over again as I was thinking this was the end of me, you know? Now my whole face is just tingling, I spoke to the doctor and he just wants to put me on tablets but I'm worried it will bring with it a whole other set of problems! 

Do you know I'm scared of knowing but scared of not knowing as I know either way I'll feel this way. I just don't understand where it's come from sad

thanks for responding, always good to know you're not on your own x

• Posted

I know, it took me months to accept that anxiety could cause such feelings. I was in denial and that's why I convinced myself that there was something else going on, something the doctors were missing. I honestly did not think that this worrying could manifest into such anxiety that would always be beneath the surface.

Oh yes I have felt that SO many times! Resigning to the fact that I was going to drop dead. The panic spreads and your body reacts. There are websites that lists all of the symptoms that anxiety can cause and it made me feel better about the scariest symptoms, such as tingling, leg weakness, sharp headaches, eye blurriness, etc.

Going on medication is scary but I was so desperate to be me again that I wanted to try. Sometimes they work, sometimes you have to try a few kinds. I know some people go to counselling but I don't feel stressed about day to day life! Yes, not knowing the cause is so frusterating.

Let me know how it goes the next few weeks,

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I'm the same way for 12 yrs all Dr say I'm fine I have to learn to live with it I have a daughter who's 34 and is the same way
    • Posted

Hi Sara and Lisa,

So I have had these weird headaches going on about 3 weeks now, it was mainly on the left side of my head and soimetimes went down my neck and face making them tingle. I also have a feeling that I am randomly going to throw up and I feel dizzy and a little disoriented. I went to my doctor who sent me to the ER where they did a CT scan and said they didnt see anything wrong. I am just tired of feeling like this and want a diagnosis, does this sound like health anxiety?

• Posted

Omg. I have that issue. Sometimes when i move my head in certain directions it feels like pressure. Have you ever felt that before?
    • Edited

I have exactly the same thing ..I was diagnsed with Non hodkins lymphoma 1 year ago and finished chemo in Nov 2015. Im in remission but so damn scared that I will relapse, that I am constaly anxious..My head gets these weird pains, as if a stiletto is pushing at the side of my head and tingling in the left side of face...But Ive been told its anxiety that is within my body...Ive been told to relax and not worry--Easier said than done. Anxiety can cause so many different pains and shakes and tingling inside and outsdie the skin...Its so nreve racking.....
    • Posted

I know exactly how it feels and people look at you as if you are crazy. But these pain and tingling sensation is the worst I have experienced in my life. It feels good to know that there are others out there that understand you and that you are not

alone.

• Posted

Hi Norma yes those are the sensations i get the most , all head anxiety all different weird feelings in my head its so scary
    • Posted

For almost 4 years now I have suffered from the tingling sensation you are talking about. When I lay down to go to sleep I can feel it starting in my head.. almost feels like my head is going to sleep.. just on one side..the left side of my face and left arm also tingle. I have had test and blood work and everything comes back fine. Even went to neurologists. Its a very scary thing and it when it happens it stops me in my tracks. Sometimes it lasts for weeks or days or just a few hours. I have noticed the more I concentrate on it the worse it gets.
    • Posted

Hi Wvgal88,

You have no idea how grateful I was to see your post. For the past few months I have suffered from a tingling sensation on the left side of my face and my left hand. It is happening to me right now and has lasted about a week. I am really nervous that the symptoms aren't going away. Did yours ever last a week or more? I have gone to the ER where they ruled out a stroke. I spoke with my Doctor yesterday and he wants to do an echocardiogram and an MRI to rule out TIA and MS. I have myself convinced it's MS and am terrified. 

• Posted

Mine has lasted for a 2 weeks or more before. So frustrating. I had blood work to check for MS and everything you could think of.. everything came back good. I have googled this symptom so many times in the past and every time It sends me into panic mood. Im almost wondering if Im breathing weird or hyperventilating myself and depriving myself of oxygen?? I get so tired of waking up and hoping it will be gone. It makes me so irritable and I just don't want to do anything or be social because I don't want to pretend Im all smiles. I keep thinking I had a stroke and they are missing something.

Or

• Posted

I seen your user name are you from West Virginia I am, I have been experiencing symptoms it all started on the 23 of this month plus health anxiety as well my head has also been feeling like there's a lot of pressure. I also have ringin in the ears it all started around the same time.?

• Posted

Lisa, 

What did the doctor say the throbing, ache, stabbing pain was from ? 

Is the medication working 

• Posted

Hi I pray you are well ?? I am having the same symptoms one extra one a bump on my head that changes almost daily. I have had blood work week up and every test. Nothing has shown up. How were you diognosed? Referred to a nurology oncologist and they want to do a spinal tap.

• Posted

Hello,

I am feeling the same thing in the back of my head.  It's a tingling like you are talking about.  Been feeling it for a month.  Had 5 tests on my heart and all normal.  I do have surfers ear.  When I think about it it just gets worse.  I did not realize anxiety is so gnarly.  It started with my heart pounding then it went up into my head as the heart feelings are gone now it's my head tingling and dizziness. I am scared!

• Posted

I totally understand being scared.  I don't like to even be alone as a result and I am a very independent person.  I have been taking vitamin D, garlic and calcium daily and have taken Benadryl or seudafed.  It has helped me some.  I am. It having the tingling as much.  I was told that the tingling feeling is alkolosis. I am having my CT scan this week as well as a stress test so I will see if anything else shows. My family friend who is a doctor also suggested a herniated disk in the neck.  Being a surfer you might want to see if there is anything like that. 

• Posted

Hi sara 

Iam

Haveing the exact issue throbing pain sometimes a pressure on my left tempel and head sometimes its on both sides started after i was stressed over a break up and never left been a year now , iam geting these wierd sensations on and off  stinging crawling like a small electric currant is passing throw my vains arms legs face head , done all the tests on eartj and been told iam healthy and its just anxiety, just wondering how you copeing i know this is a old post , hope you are better now and hope to speak to you this has put me soo down dont know who to speak to , lost everything freinds jobs my life is messed 😔😔😔

• Posted

Hi Ibrahim,

I've been having the weirdest and scariest sudden, dull, intense head pains that are followed immediately by shooting pain, tingling, lightheadedness, heart palpitations, and panic.  My temples hurt all of the time and it feels like a band around my head.  Had an MRI...PCP said it's sinusitis and has me on a strong dose of antibiotics.  Feels awfully severe to be that.  Anyways, I am so scared he's missing something and that I need a neurologist to catch it, but I need a referral and not sure my PCP will provide it.  Everything else in my life is finally going well after dealing with anxiety and depression for most of my life.  I'm scared and don't want this to disrupt that.  Things were going well until four weeks ago when these pains started.  I also have feelings of dizziness, unsteadiness, brain fog (which I chalk up to anxiety brought on my this).  Been waking up a lot at night which is not the norm.  Not sure what to do.  Feel like I'm barely making it day to day and that I will suddenly die from one of these head pains.

• Posted

Mark me too !!!! To every thing you just said! Im afraid to sleep incase I die in my sleep. I'm afraid 24/7 because the tension headaches has been here for 5 weeks and it's not going away. Only geting worse. 😣😣😣 how are you now ? I had a ct scan and all was fine. Doctor has me refered to the nurologist but still havent heard anything from them

• Posted

Check to see if the muscle is tight on the side of your neck from behind your ear to your shoulder.  I found that the mastoid Sternal muscle is basically locked at times and this plays a big part when the anxiety hits.  Been going to massage therapy.  Found a neck pillow that is called a bone pillow and these things to help. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.