Strange Question...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys... this may sound like a strange question...but I am desperate at this point. My IBS-D has been so out of hand for the last 6 weeks or so but really crazy these last 3 weeks. Already had 2 accidents! I bought a britta water pitcher about 2 months ago. Do you think that could be causing this outbreak? Literally every 3 days I am in the bathroom for 2 hrs or more. Its affecting getting to work on time as well!!!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Have you been following FODMAP Diet also are you on a gluten free diet. Could make all the difference
    • Posted

I am seeing my gastro dr this week but i started last week eating some low fodmap foods and some glutten free ones too. Dont know if one week would make a difference, but it hasnt so far. I am not following the diet religiously as I am still confused on the process.
  • Posted

Although change of water can alter bowel habits, Britta water filters get rid of chemicals such as chlorine in the water so it should help to remove potential irritants.  Try a food diary or low fodmap to see if a food is the cause.
    • Posted

I will. Yesterday all i had was: a bowl of oatmeal for lunch and for dinner I had a small pc of cooked ham, potatoes with some chedder on top and a salad for dinner. For dessert I had an glutton free/ no high fructose Italian ice. But 3 days ago I had mostly low fodmap foods and the following day the same issue with the big D!!!!
    • Posted

Some people find that safe foods on Fodmap irritate their IBS but the foods listed as possible triggers, cause no problems.  Some also find a food irritates them one week but is fine the following week.  It is all trial and error as everyone has different triggers.  Potatoes and dary are common irritants and in some cases, salads. 

I would ask to be referred to a dietician to guide you with Fodmap.You will need to follow Fodmap strictly in order for it to work properly.  I would give it fourcweeks to see if the diet is working.  One week is not enough.

• Posted

I am so confused with the low fodmap foods! I just bought a book to guide me.
  • Posted

The water filter will not be the cause, sounds like an IBS flare. Do you keep a food diary?
  • Posted

The water filter will not be the cause, sounds like an IBS flare. Do you keep a food diary?
    • Posted

I am going to start one.

But if a certain food aggregates my IBS, how soon would it would show? I have literally eaten sausage and peppers with onions and no D that night or the next day. Then I could eat a pc of grilled chicken with a side salad and the next morning I am spending 3 hours on the john!!!

• Posted

With D it's usually the same day or next. It's worth doing to see if there are any links. It's also the way you prepare the food. For example you ate COOKED pepper and onions and we're ok, but salad is RAW vegetables and often too much fibre for IBS d sufferers.

If your d is bad you should switch to a plain low fibre diet for a few days anyway to calm your digestive tract down.

• Posted

I just saw my gastro dr and shes rerunning all the tests since many are new since i was diagnosed 8 yrs ago. She said chronic diarrhea is the hardest to treat because there are 4 pages of causes to eliminate. She actually told me that I am not getting enough fiber so i have to take a fiber supplement and she wants me to consume 20 to 35 grams of fiber a day. I will let you know if I see a difference...

Thank you for your reply back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.