Strange/Scary Symptoms & Anxiety!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone!

About a month ago, I woke up feeling pretty ill and just weird. I didn't think much of it and just hoped I'd get better in a few days. I also had developed severe anxiety (Which I have had before!) Then I didn't get better and started having a really hard time getting to sleep!

I couldn't take it anymore so I went to my doctor and got prescribed Ativan. It helped me sleep and feel a bit better but I still felt weird and kinda sickly. I wish I knew how to describe it. I also developed an awareness of my own breathing (Which I have also had before!). I think it comes from stress/anxiety.

Sometimes I felt EXTREMELY physically ill but for some reason taking another Ativan would help the symptoms. I was prescribed 1 mg to take at night. Sometimes I would take one in the morning or afternoon and be ok for the day and be abe to sleep. However, I think the Ativan made me more sick than it was helping! I tried weaning myself off the Ativan by cutting them in half.

Anyway, I started having more and more anxiety and feeling more and more sickly. I was going crazy. I felt bad mentally and physically. I went back to my doctor and she told my thyroid was a little low so she prescribed me Synthroid .25 mcg I think it is. All other bloodwork was fine. I was so happy because I thought I had finally figured out what was wrong! I still felt horrible then and had bad anxiety and muscle twitches/spasms, andf felt sick.

Well, I took my Synthroid and that night I could not sleep. I couldn't sleep for 2 and half nights. I tried so hard but couldn't. I got so scared that I went to the ER and got ONE Ambien pill. I was told to stop taking the Ativan (mind you I have been on it about a month). I took the Ambien that night and it made me kind of tired but then wore off after a few minutes. I got scared and went to my parents and my dad gave me an Ativan and some Unisom. Eventually I was able to sleep (for like 10 hours lol!). I also had some myoclonic jerks I think they're called and weird sensations while trying to sleep which scared me really bad! sad

I stopped taking my Synthroid because I was scared that that was what had caused me unable to sleep. I still haven't been well at all. I am a little better today than I was yesterday (I spent all day yesterday locked in the bathroom crying), but I have a huge fear now of not being able to sleep and having those jerks are so horrible while trying to sleep and they just wake you up! I also have a fear of losing the ability to sleep and dying now because that bout of insomnia scared me so badly sad I forgot to mentiont that I am also on Zoloft 75 mg. I have been for a few years.

I feel better at the moment physially. Bu now I am terrified of not being able to sleep when I want to, andhaving those jerks which gives me severe anxiety! sad I also don't have anymore Ativan and I am scared to death of getting sick from not taking them! My parents have told me I'll be ok and to just take it one day at a time but I am so scared! I still have my breathing issue also which sucks so bad. I just want to feel normal and healthy again!

I am a young mother and want to be well so I can care and spend time with my little one and family! Any advice would be so helpful! I also get skipped heartbeats sometimes, but got that checked several times and docs say it's benign. I also tend to have a higher resting heart rate but maybe it's from anxiety.

I am just so scared right now and worried aboutwhat's going to happen to me! I see my pyschiatrist in a few weeks but still. I am trying to get into an inpatient center and get care but they are full until Thanksgiving and I live in Germany so if I went to a German hospital it would cost thousands of dollars.

Please help! I'm trying to relax and stay healthy and take care of myself but am scared of not being able to sleep and getting sick/having diseases and getting withdrawl symptoms from Ativan. So scared sad

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention that during those days I didn't sleep, I was still taking my Synthroid and Ativan. On the night I finally DID manage to sleep, I didn't take my Synthroid that day. I'm scared of my Synthroid but know that I need it. I am out of Ativan now and I am scared of not being able to sleep sad Ihaven't had an Ativan at all today and have so much anxiety! I am scared and my parents don't seem to understand sad

• Posted

Try and calm down it's anxiety keeping you awake your body goes Into the fight or flight response I know it's much easier said than done but this works for me stand back and say to yourself it would be good to get a good nights sleep tonight but it doesn't matter if I don't xx

• Posted

have you been tested for things autoimmune, like celiacs? Many folks with thyroid issues also have celiac disease but doc do not test it often, eventhough it is super common.  Undiagnosed CD can make you feel horriby sick.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.