strange side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi, yesterday I was prescribed citalopram for depression.

I didn't start feeling any side effects until about 5 hrs afterwards at which point I started feeling very sick, this I was fine with but then another effect started that I can only liken to coming up on MDMA, like waves of euphoria rushing through my body, only it wasn't fun and scared me a little. This only happened 4-5 times and then I panicked a little bit and decided to go on a walk which very much helped. Anyway this morning the only effects I'm feeling are a dry mouth and heart burn, is it likely that I will experience that 'high' feeling again and has anybody else experienced symptoms like this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunatey YES!!... And the initial side effects can last anywehere between 2 weeks and 2 months. Every one is different. I had a week off work when i started them. The side effects also come back when increasing doses, at different severities for everyone. Stick with it and you will see an improvement. Promise.. They have changed my life completely. 

I am currently trying to cope with my terminally Ill mum being given only a couple of weeks, and without these tbh i dont think i would be here....

xx

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, stressing about going to work tomorrow, have already had three days of due to flu and boss wants me back in sad
  • Posted

Hi Jamie, 

As niccikl said before me what you are experiencing is a ver common side effect during the initial loading stages of citalopram. Most experience something similar however the severity differs with each individual. I have heard a good few refer to it as the "rush hour" as most people tend to get these rushes and highs in the afternoon around 4pm - 5pm when taking Citalopram in a morning.

Having been where you are now I can honestly tell you that the next couple of weeks will most probably bring on a few weird sensations and side effects and at first I know that I didn't find it pleasant and found them a little difficult to get to grips with however it does get better over time. 

As your doctor probably told you, as soon as the levels in your body even themselves up and the Citalopram is doing it's job you will feel much better again!

If you feel anything else that you are unsure about then feel free to ask!

All the best.

• Posted

Ditto to previous comments. Unless you are really unsure go see yer Doc, otherwise keep taking them and keep coming here!

All the best,

David

• Posted

Hi there,

I have felt something similar but maybe not as intense I have read about serotonin syndrome also but it seems like what your getting is a common side effect just go to your doctor if you are concerned and if it persists longer than a few days or it's disrupting your life (That's what my doctor told me anyway) anything that persists is not good! Prob just a normal side effect though. 

As for the dry mouth I had that also It continued throughout and my doctor was not concerned about it. Regardless I had to stop cit due to other sides after a month of hell. I hope you don't get any side effects that's are too crazy! Also hope you are feeling better soon ! Good luck. 

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up