Strong fear of harm or dying?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I get extremely anxious about hurting myself or putting myself in danger e.g burning myself whilst cooking or walking too near the edge of the train platform. This has gotten to the point where I will avoid cooking as much as possible; I am scared of simply frying an egg. I also feel frightened when I am in a car parked on a hill and someone jokingly threatens to pull the handbrake.

Does anyone else experience similar feelings?

And if so, how do you deal with them?

1 like, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

I think maybe something like hypnotherapy would help you, as well as meditation. If there is a group which practises meditation in your area, try to join them.

Your fears are quite common and they come and go for lots of people throughout life.  Dont feel helpless, - you can do something about this.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I used to feel similar feelings when I was younger, especially standing to close to a trainline, but the what helped me get over it was to look at all the other people around and realise how even though they are still taking the risk, nothing happened so why would it be you? I mean we take so many risks in life without ever coming to harm, so why would it be now? I agree with what ursulauc said, they'd probably help.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Please understand that you are not alone. I'm afraid of a lot of things such as I think in the stove is on when I've never used it before I leave for work, Checking to make sure I didn't leave a candle burning, I freak out when riding in the car with someone, thinking someone will rape me when I'm walking to my car, my mind races a 100 miles per hour. I hate these thoughts.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up