Struggling - little to no support network

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last week my GP diagnosed me with Reactive Depression, and not for the first time. Due to the situation at the time I couldn't go on any meds until I'd been checked by the hospital. Saw and spoke to a Mental Health Nurse which helped but we didn't take anything forward but just talked about my options, none of which are really right for me (crisis phone line, counselling, etc).

I've always had a really good support network (partner, my mum and a friend). Several years ago I had to drop my friend as my partner was jealous of him but I've been fine with just the two. Then two months ago I lost my mum so was down to just my partner. Then out of the blue last weekend he wants to split up after 11 years (he wants to stay friends which adds another complication to it) but I've lost all my support network.

My GP is really good and I've seen him a couple of times since going to the hospital so really he is all the suport I have now. Initially I didn't want to take any pills (last time they didn't help, but put weight on which is another issue) but this last appointment I was struggling so agreed that I needed something. Because my insomnia is back too he's put me on Mirtazapine 15mg. 

However, I had to rush back a few hours later (even before I got my pills) as I felt like I was spiraling and the black thoughts were getting really dark and I felt unsafe. I was fitted back in and broke down in his surgery. He rang the crisis team on my behalf, which referred me across to the community support team, and he was with me until I was calmer. He tried to get them to come out to me but the most they would do was ring me back a bit later.

Well they did ring but bearing in mind the state I was in at the GP (and yes I was bad and unsafe) they didn't ask how I was doing or anything. They just basically said that I had been referred to the team  and I would be offered an appointment which would probably be in the next fortnight and could either be at home or at the clinic and I would recieve a letter in the post.

So I really don't have much faith in them now, I'm bad enough that if I'm having a bad time I have difficulty talking but if I'm supposed to be contacted to talk and they don't even try, why should I?

I know I have my GP at least and he's said I can go in if I need to but that is only available Mon-Fri office hours and he does have the odd day off.

What does everyone else do for support? I'm really struggling.Think I'm going to be back at GP again tomorrow with how I am at mo sad

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey cari......

I hope you meeting with the GP will go well....well I try to meet new people....and tell them about how I will.....somehow for me.....I can bear to keep all this things in me and I try to let them out.....because to me it feels like its killing me inside.....and I also try to do different things to help me realize that....there are alloy of things to be happy about......and one of my biggest support have is God....somehow even though I Don see him.....I now the is there.....and honestly let me tell he is the only one who will completely understand.....the situation....take care.....and remember you are strong....and unique no one can ever replace you.....and your happiness is your gift.....don't let anyone take your happiness away....hope everything goes well....Jesus loves you!!

• Posted

hey Cari, i feel your pain, the network of Mental Health support is nothing short of abysmal. i have had hose fone calls about a letter being in the post in next 2 weeks. cos in the next 2 weeks something may change apparently....i dont think so. we are fighting too many battles within our own heads enough, and to be told wait a few weeks is pretty grim. i cant offer support as i am going through my own hell but posting on here did help. there are some real decent people on here who battle like us just to get up an function everyday, and i would be a hypocrite if i said fight on etc cos its not easy. its pretty terrible what we are up against sad 
  • Posted

I have lost faith in the NHS they our hopeless as far as I'm concerned. Infact I would go as far as to say they have made my condition worse. To be honest I would never go to my GP or phyciatrist ever again. I get my support from coming on forums like this one because we are all going through the same thing and understand each other. To be honest what can the doctors do for us? Apart from dish out pills which in my experience over the last 32 years have made things worse. I don't know what the answer is to all this. I'm just trying to help myself from now on and researching alternative ways to deal with this as I have no other choice unfortunately 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.