Struggling so bad with fluoxetine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi im now day 16 and i feel asif the side effects ate getting worse.

The nausea is awful my whole body aches and feels weak. My head feels foggy. I feel so so tired and dizzy. 

Can anyone tell me when these sideeffects are likely to get better? Im only taking 10mg and im wondering if it is even worth it. Any input is appreciated xxx

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi star , I'm sorry your still struggling , I know its awful cos we want to feel better quickly , but its a waiting game unfortunately! Day 16, mmm, my advice , get to week three , 21 days , then if you havnt felt a bit better go and have a review with your gp. I've turned the corner myself after three weeks on an increase of floux and feel much better ! I felt terrible the first three weeks on the increased dose , so don't give up !!!!! Xxxx

• Posted

Ok pam i will try another week. What where your side effects? Im unsure if the 1sim having are notmal or some sort of reaction. I have...

Really bad nausea 

Dizziness

Lightheaded( sometimes feel like im about to faint)

Foggy head

Heart palpitations 

Slow heart beat

General weak feeling 

Sorry to be a pain and ask so many questions just really struggling xxxx

• Posted

Hi Star, I had foggy head , dilated pupils which made everything look strange , extreme agitation and anxiety, mega tension , restlessness , really hard to feel normal inside or when I was out !! Xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you pam. Hopefully things get better within the next week then. Its just so hard to keep taking a drug thats making you feel so awful but now im scared to stop as im scared pf how low i will feel xxx
    • Posted

Hi sjay, yes its 4weeks today since I started my increase of floux and I'm feeling much better .had a chat to my gp this morning and I told him that I'd felt worse over three weeks of the increase , but was feeling bit better .He said do I want to drop the extra dose ,but I wasn't sure , so I'm carrying in with it and going back to see him in a month .l still guys and gals struggling in the early days , just bear with it ,you should start to feel better after three weeks! Hugs xxxxc

• Posted

Hello Star, wishing you a good Sunday.  Well i can relate.  I am on 10 mg now and my head feels like its in a fog and i have jaw and head pain.  I am not sure why the adjustment period has to be this bad!!  I feel like i lose out on so much life.  I have so many friends and family and i can't even enjoy them because of this medication issue.  So its normal to think thoughts like "is this worth it",  " is there another medication out there that is better"   Well I'm realizing i can't answer these questions until i get past the adjustment period.  How long should i suffer? Thats a good question.  i just know i that I'm almost ready to throw these pills in the garbage and ask my pdoc. whats next? For surely i want to be more positive but its hard when your head feels like its going to explode.   And certainly i know that all of us react to meds so differently.  I have a friend who is on 150 mg of Zoloft.  He says he does not feel it in his system--not one bit.  Thats so unfair!!  I am not playing the victim but my body is soooo sensitive to this stuff.  I have a lot of life to get to and I'm not sure how to get there yet.  I hope sooner than later.  So i guess Star we kind of have to trust our doctors and what our bodies our telling us.  I hope you feel better very soon!!

• Posted

Craig me too loads of friends snd family and a baby. So sicknof feeling like rubbish but i cant win because if i take them i feel awful with side effects if i dont i feel awful with depression. I dont even know why this is happening to me i have everything to be happy about i have a perfect life which i cant enjoy. 

How long have you been taking the 10mg? Xxx

• Posted

How you feeling now, please let us know it gets better
    • Posted

Hi sjay

I am alot better than i was 5 weeks ago thank god. 

I have been taking 15mg and today have increased to 20mg as i  am still feeling a little bit down and i knkw 20mg is the lowest therapeutical dose xxx

• Posted

Hello Star.  I started 13 days ago on 5mg of paxil and worked my way up to 10 mg.  I'm just not feeling great on it but what are we suppose to do.  Like you said its either dealing with the depression alone or trying medication to help.  Side effects are a killer for me.   i just text my doc and told her i don't  know how much longer i can hang on with the headaches etc.   Im assuming with time the side effects will wane, but its the waiting game that is very challenging.   Im going to see what my doctor says.  If i didn't feel it in my system it would be a no brainer.   i don't think it causes weight gain and the sexual side effects are minimal.  But its that fogginess and just not feeling right that is uncomfortable.   Well hang in there start, wishing you well

• Posted

Hi Star 

I was really bad for 4 weeks, couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, foggy head, sore eyes (prob because I went days without sleeping), sore joints, nausea, bad thoughts, bad dreams, brain zaps, racing heart, panic attacks and more...I even passed out in a mall in about week 2. 

The SE do go, but it's really gradual - after week 4 I found things much better and really got much better week on week. I was fully functional and sleeping again by week eight, this included being back to work. Before the meds I could not sleep, even with sleeping medication. Oddly my anxiety was towards sleeping, which lead to a breakdown. 

I think I mentioned now 8 months later I'm tapering off (down to 2,5mg) and I have had no issues for months, even coming off the meds. It's like the whole thing was a bad dream.

Week 3 was the worst for me, which I think is pretty common. 

Anyway, hang in there - just take 1 day at a time and looking back the best advice I can offer is that you are taking medication and as a result you are getting some side effects. This will all pass with time, it's not your new normal - I always remember being so worried that I would always feel as I did in week 2. 

Hang in there and best of luck for a good couple of weeks coming up. Take care, cheers Craig. 

• Posted

Hi craig i am week 3 now so maybe this explains why i feel so bad. Do tou think theres any chance that 10mg will even work for me as i dont feel like i want to increase due to side effects xxx
    • Posted

Hi Star 

Only time will tell...

SE do pass; you will just notice one day or for part of a day that it's not as bad as it was on the prior day. The frequency of these moments and days should increase over time. 

When you're in it, I know this just doesn't seem possible. For me, I'm glad I stuck with it - it was by far the toughest 4-6 weeks of my life. Interestingly I wouldn't change it as I know I'm better for the experience (hard to imagine in week 3 I know). 

Hang in there - there is plenty of support here. For me it was the difference between quitting or not. 

• Posted

Oh craig the sooner the better its awful today i have the worst headache imaginable. It feels like rather than improving ever day im getting a new side effect xxx
    • Posted

Hi star, what dose are you taking and when did you start prozac, are you taking any other mens?
    • Posted

Hi sjay i am only taking 10mg been taking it for 18 days. I dont take anythn else other than this. The side effects are horrible snd my mood still feels quite bad 😢 Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.