Struggling to cope

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

A few weeks ago I posted about a swollen lymph node behind my right ear. I've had this lymph node for around about 5 weeks now and it is slowly eating away at my life.

When I first found it seemed a lot larger than it is now and possibly a bit harder (not sure if my mind is just playing tricks on me). Anyways, the reason I think that it appeared is because I came down with a cold a few days after I found it.

After a few days my cold disappeared and I expected my lymph node to also disappear. Sadly it's still here. The lymph node is movable and relatively soft with a tad of firmness. It feels almost, 'fleshy'. It is currently about 0.5cm - 1cm in size. Although it feels larger in the morning for some reason and after I touch it, it goes down a little.

I've tried so hard not to touch it but it is becoming nearly impossible!!!! I feel totally fine and would never have noticed this without touching behind my ears!

Any sort of help will go a long way.

Thanks so much.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to the GP, he/she is the only professional that can advise you,nobody on here can diagnose even if they are medically trained without seeing you,of course we are here to give a sympathetic ear but I really think to satisfy your mind you should have it checked.

Sorry cannot be more helpful

Let us know if you go to GP

Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Murray,

It is almost certainly your body's defense against infection. Homeostasis is the body's ability to take care and heal itself. And that's what your body is doing. There are germ fighting properties in your lymph nodes. I get the same thing and have for years. I even have one lymph node in my neck that gets bigger when I have some kind of cold type infection, stays big for a while then goes back down to a slight bump. I've had it for years and the doctor said it's normal. Not to worry!

Help your body by drinking plenty of water, eating your 6 - 10 servings of fruit and veggies per day and getting exercise, fresh air and a good night's sleep. 

• Posted

Yes lymph  nodes do come up with body infection,but not wanting to alarm Murray any lump or swelling should be checked and because one ,s is nothing to worry about,you cannot and should not diagnose another  even if you are a medic from a distance a GP would want to see it not over a telephone or internet.
  • Posted

Have you seen your GP about this? Because if it is actually a lump, then it's not anxiety. No one here is qualified to diagnose you, and it would ease your anxiety to see your GP and find out what it actually is 
    • Posted

I can't see my GP for another 4 weeks. I am out working here in the USA. I haven't come for definitive medical answers, just to vent my anxiety.
    • Posted

Sorry thought you were asking for help in what to do.

did not know you were venting feelings

• Posted

Pressing on the lymph node will help drain it and (as far as I know) would be no harm at all. The only thing is, perhaps you should get checked by a doc, just in case it is not a lymph node and could be something else. Not to worry you and please don't let it make you anxious as it probably is the lymph node but just to make sure, I think it would be a good idea smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.