Struggling with Anxiety and Depression

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started having panic attacks when I was 10 and it wasn't until I started high school that panic attacks became more regular. I felt so embarrassed about having break downs in lessons and was called an "attention seeker", it was so frustrating not being able to explain what goes through my mind. I hardly came out of my room and stopped going to school, I cried myself to sleep praying that it would get better but now I'm nearly 18 and feel worse than ever, I struggle with everyday life there's some days I just sit in my room all day in bed because I feel so low, I rarely post pictures and when I do see photo's of myself all I see are the flaws, I don't have much support as my family have busy lives and for me its just a lonely, isolated place to be in my life. If anyone else has gone through the same struggles I'd love to hear from you. Thank you

3 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, we all have gone through this. But with the help of a dr., therapist and meds we feel better. Are you able to get to the dr.? It sounds like you suffer from depression along with panic attacks. I do too. I suffer from uncontrollable crying jags, anxiety too. I take meds regularly. It makes a big difference. Please get help! We will support you here. You can come back as much as you need to.
    • Posted

I have been to the doctors a few times and was referred to a counsellor at a mental health place but it only lasted 8 weeks and I still felt as low as I did before, I take natural stress relief tablets that I got from Holland & Barrett as the doctors won't give me medication because they think I'm too young. It's a neverending battle to get help but I've got an appointment next week with a different doctor so hopefully I might get somewhere, thank you for replying.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear what you're going through but please understand you're not alone. I feel exactly the same. I have family but they have their own busy fulfilled lives while I struggle to get up most days. Have you spoken with your doctor or told anyone how you're feeling? Talking to a professional might help or to family or friends, regardless of how busy they may seem people that care about you will want to support & help you but they can't if they don't know what's going on. You can always come on here & share with us or private message me if you want to. 

The fact you're able to recognize how you feel & come on here & share your thoughts is amazing & shows how strong you are even if you don't feel it right now. You really do deserve to be happy & you've got so much of your life to live the way YOU want to x

• Posted

Thank you so much for your kind words, I just feel like a burden to my family as they have to work full time and are normally too tired to listen to my problems, I live in a small village so there's not many people around to talk to. I have an appointment next week with a different doctor so I'm hoping I might finally get the help I need. Thank you again.

• Posted

You're welcome honey.

Just think if someone you loved & cared about was feeling how you are? You'd never be too busy to help & support them so don't keep this all to yourself you just need some support through a difficult time. I'm glad you've got another appointment, you're doing so well just be 100% honest & they will help you. If you don't feel any better after your next app don't give up. I went through 4 doctors before 1 actually listened! Let us know how it goes x

• Posted

Thank you so much. I have been to see so many different doctors at different medical practises, a few have been okay but still didn't give me the help I needed, I do have support from a family friend but they live quite far from me so it's hard to open up about it over the phone x

• Posted

I understand. You've always got us so you're never alone. Things do get better it's just hard to get through these shxtty bits. Message anytime x

• Posted

Hello there so glad that you wrote to us. After writing into us you will never be alone again we all suffer from anxiety and depression and have our own set of problems. Thanks for trusting us. 

Since you are 18 I think..depending on where you live..that you can  go to a doctor and tell them what's going on. Maybe get some counseling and some meds but I'm not a doctor you need to make an appointment. What are your thoughts about that? Diane

• Posted

I have an appointment next week with a different doctor so I'm hopeful that I might get some help. I'm 18 soon but due to my age the doctors or chemists won't give me medication for it (I did try asking) but I take stress relief tablets I bought from Holland & Barrett and they work for an hour or two by making me sleep then as I soon as I wake up its back to worrying about something.

• Posted

Hi Es22 - good on you for reaching out, recognising a problem and making the effort to deal with it. It might help you to jot down your feelings etc and take that to the docs with you. It can be a bit daunting when facing the doc with an illness they can't see - I got the impression my first doctor was trying to talk me out of reality, observing that i was lucid, clean and employed so i was functional and therefore 'okay.' I found another doc.

Hang in there, Es22, don't give up, the doc should be able to prescribe any med you require for your health. If there are any issues with age and meds, are your parents available to be included in this process?

• Posted

Hi again. Well I am no doctor and I have no idea when they think that it's appropriate to prescribe meds to a young person. Maybe you could pick one doctor and stick with them so they can get to know your personality and they might feel more confident with you and give you something. I don't know. Diane. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.