Struggling with anxiety symptoms.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I'm pretty new to anxiety. I was living a full, normal life until December 2014 when I came down with Pleurisy. I got over it with a course of antibiotics but being ill has left me with crippling health anxiety.

There's no history of heart conditions in my family and I've had 3 ECG's since Christmas but I'm still convinced that I'm going to die. I'm only 30 but I now  barely leave my flat and my parents are taking it in turns to stay with me. 

Anyway, the reason for my post is because I'm struggling to differentiate between genuine symptoms and just anxiety symptoms.

Every day my stomach is in knots and I suffer palpitations and chest pain. It's a vicious cycle. The palps and gastric problems cause anxiety and anxiety causes the symptoms. 

I just need some reassurance that people who suffer with anxiety also have these symptoms. I can't describe the terror I feel every day. I can't believe the change in me in 6 months! sad

3 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Annie I also suffer from health anxiety, Im going through abit of a rough patch at no and think Iv got all these serious illness asking for reassurance off my family, I was like you living a normal life it all started after I had my daughter nearly 6 months ago, Iv had numerous of bloods done, chest X-ray, 24 holster and ultra sound all come back normal, I get chest pain on my left side it's horrible and a rapid heart beat, hope this helps you abit
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, I am suffering very similar to you. I was fine also and then I have been ill from October till April. I returned to work for one week and then ended up waking one day feeling high anxiety! I havent been able to go to work since, eat properly or sometimes even move! I am afraid of being ill and the anxiety is whats making me feel ill. Making my stomach feel upset and tied in knots, giving me shakes, making me feel hot and faint.

It is so hard! I have managed to have some 'normal' days in between which makes you feel you can get out of this, but then all of a sudden it all rushes back and feels like you are stuck forever.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi sweetheart. I am sorry to hear that you are suffering all this at such a young age, but you are not alone. I suffered my first panick attack when I was 21 (nearly 60 now) so I am a living specimen that anxiety won't kill you!!! Mine was all due to an ear infection at the time. Like you, I could not be on my own, in fact my mum and dad had to come home from holiday and take me back with them. But, I can assure you it does get better.biggrin Please contact me if you wish and I will try to help you all I can. Take care x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's so kind of you. Thank you. It just feels like when I learn to handle one symptom another one comes along! Last night I got dressed up to go out and meet friends and had to cancel at the last minute coz I got a pinching pain in my chest. I rang NHS direct for reassurance and the nurse told me it didn't sound like anything serious but I'm still anxious about it! I feel so stupid! The old me would have knocked back some ibuprofen and not given it a second thought!! Xxx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know exactly what you mean. The brain is a strange thing! I suffered years of thinking I had everything wrong with me, I was constantly up and down to my gp. X-rays, blood tests, tests upon tests. And your not stupid. You can learn to control it which is what I have done. I know an anxiety attack won't kill me (they are not nice but they do pass). As for the physical side of it, it really is all in the mind. As I said before, I am living proof of that! Keep in touch if you need any more reassurance, I am always here. Remember Annie-you control it, don't let it control you.xx
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Great to hear a success story. It gives us all hope thjngs can be Ok. Your right it's the power of the mind and in time we all see that. I know I'm slowly learning to see thjngs as Mr anxity and fear thjngs less. Still miles away from being my nornal self but each day I feel I learn that it's a tiny emotion thats hard to control as it's got too sensitive and a tired over thinkng mind don't help. When I have my attacks I'm not stating to tell my shez, look it'd happened months now the same feelings and sensations etc and your oK after so stop fearing it. When I'm occupied I find I'm kind of fine so I then tell my self look you can be ok.

Anyway its nice to here that you can change and things can be ok again power of the mind.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey Annie I'm the same and also similar age.

I constant worry with health about anxity all of a sudden. I was fine until last year I got inner ear issue and thought I waa dying etc then I got bronchitis so was bed bound a while and it all just seen to escalate over the months. Now most days I won't leave my house and have to have folk with me. Some days I'm strong and can push on some days it's a battle. I'm on mirtazapine but it's doing nothing jusr making me groggy and side effects making me more anxious. I'm still waiting on cbt too. I'm learning what i can on online cbt for now and positive reading. I find I can do little things each day then have a rest then carry on. I also keep eating regular to keep my energy up and help with the shakes. I think it's just the anxity causing fears and making us feel scared and our bodies reacting to our thoughts in negative way.

Oh also I've learnt to put all my anxity symptoms etc in a box, so when I feel q change in my body or racing heart etc I go oh hello Mr anxity and tell my self it's just anixty and it shall pass. I'm not perfect ar dealing with it but getting less scared in away. It takes the fear off things a little.

Your not alone tho and since I joined this group there is many folk who suffer with this health anxity and it makes U feel normal knowing many others Suffer. Maybe ask your doc for cbt and also you must keep believing you are ok as apparently anxity can be rather deep and you have to belive that you are ok. It's hard I know but everyday I'm getting stronger and some days I'm out locaL and that's a huge step compared to where I was.

I Want to try Trick my Mind and when I feel anxuius I want to prentend Im on a beach all chilled haha it will take practice but I feel learning to change attire attitude and reactions to thoughts and feelings is the key to working with this little emotion thats gone a little too sensitive to thjngs after all we are only human it's nornal to feel anxity and scared.

Anyway keep strong and keep busy. Keep telling your self it's just anxity and you will be ok in time.

Shez

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi,

I don't experience Health Anxiety but I do get Anxiety. And you're not the only one that feels that way when you're anxious. Personally, I over think, pounding thoughts, which leads to negative re-occuring thoughts going round and round, then I start to get the shakes, become emotional, sometimes cry an awful lot and I can't face food because my stomach feels so unsettled (sometimes I'll sit and cry at a bowl of cereal). My stomach becomes very unsettled and dodgy as well. I get extremely hot and sweating, sometimes get a little faint and find it hard to breathe. Breathing also becomes a little heavy.

I can;t believe my change either. Looking back I recognise that I've had it since late teens (I'm 30 this year) but this is the worst it's ever been and I feel like it's changing me as a person. And I feel guilty for this as well.

But they'll be bad days, better days and good days...!

There's a quote I've heard that makes me feel it's okaii to have the down days...

"Happiness is a mood. It's a journey, not a destination. It's like being hungry or tired. It's not permanent, it comes and it goes, and that's ok".

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm 24 and suffer similar symptoms
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up