Struggling with medication.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been prescribed 75 mg of Venlafaxine XL for depression, anxiety and panic. It was prescribed by my physicatrist

to be taken at night. I've only been on it for a week, It's a slow release capsule. I'm feeling awful. Has anyone had experience of this antidepressant. Any advice please?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Chriselora

Its takes AD'S up to 6 weeks to kick in and sometimes the symptons get worse before they gat better

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Hi,

I've been on this, it takes a while for it to kick in. What you *may* be able to do is ask for some Diazepam. You can use this to help *support* you while the drug works.

They also do a quick release tablet (the one I take).

*However* all medication is based on personal preference. For example, a relative of mine takes Citalepram. However it didn't agree with me, and made me more violent.

I would allow at least 2 weeks, take it at the same time each day. Thats important, the drug has withdrawal symptoms that start pretty much immediately.

Ensure you take it with food too, taking it on an empty stomach (at least with mine) can be a major issue.

Hope this all helps, anything else just ask!!

• Posted

Sure. I'm on a higher dose than you and my pdoc started me on a higher dosage but, placebo effect or not, I could 'feel' the drug working. I won't tell you how many ATD's that I've been on since 1986 (my, Lord, that was 30 years ago). Plus all of "test" drugs" when hospitalized during 1999-2000, but the only one that worked for me was something called Nardil.Nardil was like a dream come true – except that I couldn't eat anything and even though I couldn't eat that I liked (for instance, the majority of cheeses, any cured meats, etc.,) I still developed problems with chest, high blood pressure, and a variety of other issues (in my 30's?)The idea of a James Bond lifestyle was appealing – Death chasing me daily - wasn't. A nice piece of Roquefort with a stroke to follow wasn't as nice, either.  I believe that we wasted  four people in one week. So if I were you, I would ask your pdoc what the maximim dosage is on the Extended Release Effexor; as I understand it, and there are many indications to keep in my when switching from the IR capsules (I just started on the ER versus the IR, and, boy, can I tell a difference – or I'm going crazy again).I began writing someone a "sex advice" letter (not on my problems but regarding her's) and from the beginning urged her to avoid a certain part of the country and large bodies of water. Where in the world did I get that? I have no clue. So I advise you to take every suggestion that you get with caution. It's  more likely than not that your pdoc will go be prescribing guideline whi recommend 75mg+. to be inreased up to a max of (I think?) 225mg daily. I wish that there were some sort of of PDR and DSM online for consumer's to evaluate what may work best for them. You wouldn't be here is you were singing praises and hymns to your psychiatric team. 
  • Posted

Hi. I have taken Venlafaxine for around five years now, after having a major depressive episode, lasting nearly two years. It's a very good drug and I hope that it works for you, when it clicks in in a couple of weeks time. It will be hard until then, but it's worth it to be well again. Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi there

I was on this med last year and it helped me. Takes some time to kick in though.

take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.