Struggling with my mental health

Posted , 3 users are following.

Okay I've dealt with depression since I was 13.. I'm now 22. When I was younger it didn't affect me nearly as much as it does now. It's progressively gotten worse. Last semester I couldn't even get out of bed because I would wake up crying everyday. Lead to me failing classes and feeling even worse. I literally feel so drained all the time and can't escape my thoughts. I used to be so outgoing and happy - well could fake it at least. I have trouble talking to people because I literally just feel like I'm so worthless and stupid. I hate myself completely and entirely. I really don't think I'll be able to live like this much longer.. I don't want to seek therapy because my mom told me I wouldn't be able to be in a medical profession if I have mental illness history. Is this true? I'm actually afraid of myself... I get so upset that it's hard to control what I do to myself. I'm just tired of feeling this way, three years of severe depression and I'm over it.. Sadly I just don't think it'll ever get better, everything I think so I take like three steps in the opposite direction.

anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with how I am feeling?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

I am in the states... so I don't know if this applies to where you live.. but you can have a mental illness and be working in the medical field here. I struggle with major depressive disorder and obsessive thinking and I am a licensed counselor. I work with many nurses who have mental illnesses. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm in the states too. That makes me feel slightly better and able to seek out help. My mom is a nurse and I swore she told me she was in a mental hospital for a short amount of time in her teens.. So I knew that what she was saying wasn't completely true..  I wonder why she doesn't want me to? 

Do you have any suggestions on how to keep from hurting yourself? 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I lived with a woman with depression for many years.  And the advice is simple. seek help, and if you dont like the help you first get seek again until you find the right one for you (doctor social worker, councillor, psychiatrist...)  Most importantly is to be honest with the people around you and particularly yourself.  Why are you suffering depression?  Are you doing anything to fight it? What do I need to do to be Happy?

Good Luck

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up