Struggling with symptoms anyone else had the same?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I really am about at my wits end. I have my gallbladder op booked for the 25th August but it seems like a million miles away. I had one large gallstone apparently. In the last couple of months I have had 3 flair ups and have been put on antibiotics. My GP has confimed that these have not been infections but just inflammation. When I mentioned it to the hospital whilst trying deseprately to get a cancellation appointment they said I have to wait 6 weeks for the inflammation to die down so I regretted even mentioing it to them ! The trouble is this is flarring all the time. I am only eating porridge and vegetables thats it. Im fat free!! If I had my way I wouldnt eat at all.  I finish my antibiotics today but it doesnt feel any better. I feel so unwell. I feel sick the majarotiy of the time now. I am on buscopan  8 a day which does take the edge off things.Im also on omeprazole. I have never got the really severe pain like typical GB. I do get stabbing pains through my shoulder blade and a lot of discomfort in my right side and a nagging ache. If I sit in the car I feel like there is something in there being squeezed and I get extreme discomfort to the point where I feel so sick. It takes ages to settle back down.  MY feet are so  dry and cracked and itchy with great splits in them. I have suffered from this for years too could this be a symptom of a bad GB ? Looking on the internet it appears to be so. I have had GB problems over many years without realising what it was. My first attack was 35 years ago!

MY Gp told me the other day if I get a full on infection / flair up they wont operate for at least 6 weeks. She has been very supportive but I am so scared that if i mention to the hospital how bad i feel they will delay things . I have a really high pain threshhold  normally and cope with a lot with other health issues but this is the worse thing I have ever had. So i am struggling on but I really dont know how I am going to get through the next two weeks sad I would be so glad to hear from anyone else who has had any of the same issues.

Thanks x

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi jane I'm so sorry your suffering. I had one large gallstone one. It's very painful. Have you tried apple cider vinegar? You take 1 tablespoon in a cup of warm water or in some apple juice if you can stomach it. Helps ease the pain. Might help get you through the next few weeks. A lot of people find it helps. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I  dont think I would dare take apple juice or anything acidic as anything fruit /acid wise seems to trigger a flare up and im scared to make this worse but thanks for trying.
  • Posted

Sorry you're going through this. I was the same gobbling buscopan and paracetamol like candy! Also have cracked heels but didn't know it had anything to do with the GB!

I hope you get treated soon!

• Posted

I'm so sorry you're going through all this pain.   I've had my GB removed now (April 2015) and although I've had a few ups and downs I haven't experienced the really awful pain pre-GB removal.  What I would say is this; Acejohnson recommended apple cider vinegar - it does help.  If you do buy some, make sure you buy The Mother apple cider vinegar.  Also cloudy apple juice is good for gallstones; it contains a high amount of malic acid as this helps soften the gallstones so they pass more easily.  Some people drink litres and litres of this then take a spoonful of olive oil - I didn't try the latter, but it is supposed to help greatly.   Sending you my best wishes.
    • Posted

How are you doing now Moonday? I hope your recovering well and things have settled for you. Take care
  • Posted

I have also been suffering from nausea post ERCP and waiting for a decision about whether I can have my GB removed (mine is a bit complicated by other factors).  My GP tried me on metaclopramide for nausea which didn't do much then cyclizine which does help a bit.  Maybe see your GP and explain exactly what you've explained here.  I do hope you feel better soon and that the op goes well.
    • Posted

You had just reminded me that when this first started the Dr gave me some Cyclizine so will dig them out and give them another try. I hope they can get you sorted out too and tht all goes well for you.
    • Posted

I hope they work for you; thank you for your kind wishes 
  • Posted

Hi Jane, whilst it's true most surgeons do not like to remove the gallbladder using keyhole surgery whilst it's inflamed, a few will, my surgeon being one of them. The rest will do it the old fashioned way with a much larger cut, I was told by my surgeon that if a gallbladder is inflamed for too long it can rupture, after being ill for four months, and becoming jaundiced for the second time, he decided it needed to come out asap. One of my scars is a little larger than it would normally be, he said my gallbladder was so inflamed he had to enlarge the cut to get it out, but didn't need to revert to the traditional op.

Whilst I was in hospital I met a lady who'd had a burst gallbladder, she'd nearly died during the op and was still in hospital four months later, her husband had been very upset, saying her original Dr kept putting off the surgery saying they needed to wait for the inflammation to go down.

• Posted

Hi Susan, Thanks so much for replying.  I feel like my gallbladder is so  enlarged. I cant bend over and just trying to do any housework and using my right arm triggers off the stabbing pains in my back and then the nausea. I must say I feel s much better now I have come off the antibiotics Im sure they were making me feel worse. When I mentioned before to the surgeosn secretary about being on antibiotcis she said well you have to wait another 6 weeks so I am scared to even mention that I have been on antibiotcis this time  as my op in two weeks will be put off and no way am I going to wait another 6 weeks because like the lady you met it will just keep happening as  it flares up so reguarly now. Poor woman  what a terrible time she must have been having.  Like her husband my husband is so upset that you cant get anything done when you are so clearly so unwell. My Gp is lovely but says she has no say over the hospita but she says i am doing everything right its just a case of hoping we get to the op before it flares big time again.

I hope your op sorted you out and your healthy now smile

• Posted

Yes I'm fine now, get an acid stomach every few days, but antacids sort that out. The first time I went in an ambulance came out, they took my temperature and rushed me straight in. Second time hubby took me in, after being told to take me in, had to wait an hour till they found me a bed, couldn't take pain killers as I was being sick, every time I bent over in pain I thought my husband was going to get up and hit someone. Next morning he was told they were going to try and fit me in for surgery, he said he was shocked to hear I was in surgery when he phoned during his lunch break. Turned out the surgeon and his staff decided to work through their lunch in order to fit me in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.