Stuck at 86° bend for 2 weeks..

Posted , 11 users are following.

Seen the doctor today because I have been stuck with a bend of 86° for 2 weeks now. I have a lot of scar tissue since the same scar has been opened 7 times. At physical therapy they put cocoa butter on it and took a hard plastic tool and roughed up the scar and then did the back of the knee also..then the did a mini manipulation, but still only got 86°. I have until the 25th to gain more, if I don't then I will have to have a real manipulation, with possibility of breaking my bones. Any ideas to help me increase my gainn in 13 days? I am so dissapointed I n myself that I can't do it. I ride bike, do stair steppers, use bands and so much more..please someone give hope!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Instead of riding try adjusting the seat so that when you come to the to top just stop and put pressure on the bend, hold for count of 10, go backwards and again stop at the apex of the cycle and apply pressure to the bend. Gone it 15+20in a couple of times a day. Another, sit on the bed or sofa with several pillows behind your back, hook acstrap or towel around the ball of your foot and gently but firmly pull back till your knee is bent back toward your butt as far as possible then pull a liile more and hold to count of 10. Do 2 sets of 10. The riding strengthens and loosens but really doesn't put much pressurevon the soft tissue to stretch the way you need it to for maximum stretch. As usual, ice and elevate.
    • Posted

I have absolutely no swelling anymore, and havent iced for a week..it feels great except for the bend..the scar has been opened 7 times and I know it is the scar tissue that is keeping me where I'm at. I massage it everyday to the point it hurts, and I lay on my stomach with a strap aroundy ankle and pull it as far as I can to my butt, but the scar turns white and won't give any..frustrating to tears...
  • Posted

ouch! Bio oil from a supermarket rubbed into scar tissue was magic on mine. Hope you can get some improvement, tis very frustrating when results aren't positive quick enough.
  • Posted

I'm just about 14 weeks now and my bend is only at 95, I have swelling still but no pain, my pt released me this week, because I was good with everything but my bend. He told me what exercises to do at home, and I hope they work. I can honestly say I didn't do all my exercises at home before, but am trying real hard now. I was just wondering if my bend will only go this far. I might want to say I'm overweight and maybe that's why I can't bend it or is it just the swelling.
    • Posted

My guess its mostly scar tissue and swelling. Weight shouldn't play that big of role. I would suggest you stay with the exercises faithfully as you can go backwards in a hurry without movement.
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you're having such problems. Heavens, dont let them break any bones! We all have enough to contend with.... Surely that couldn't ever do any good? I cant seem to get above 90 but I ve already decided that I wont go down the manipulation route. With 90 I can walk, climb stairs, sit down...at 70 years old Im not going to be skiing or mountaineering . Good luck and try not t lose heart!
    • Posted

I am 44 with a 15 year old child still at home, and my Granddaugheter is only 2..I am willing to take the risk, just for the fact I want to be an active grandmother and mother..
    • Posted

Yes its a totally different situation! You have many years ahead of you, many mountains to climb and rivers to cross! You have to go all out for total repair!!! Ive already done most of what life has to offer... Not prepared to suffer that much for a few more degrees bend but I can see that yiu absolutely must! Just insist on the best pain control available. I can see no reason why we should suffer unnecessarily! Good luck!!!!
    • Posted

I totally undertand your reasons why you might be swayed.

I'm 34 with a 9 yr old, I had my TKR so I could be the active mum again that had dissapeared over the years

It's not easy! I have been massaging my scar with cream just so my thumbs move a bit easier over my skin and it feels a little loser already. I'm quite surprised. I'm still booked in for a manipulation on the 2 March. I'm 12 wks post op now. Then hopefully I'm on my way and going haha. I have lots of swelling still but the surgeon says it being held in the pockets. It's not the greatest thing to have done but the after results far out weigh the problems now.

I wish you all the luck x

• Posted

Thanks! I've needed a TKR since I was 26 but no one would touch me at that age..even at 44 I had to jump through hoops..lol. How did you get it so young?
    • Posted

It scares me, and I was off pain killers at 3 weeks, not looking forward to taking them again!
    • Posted

I too, needed one for a very long time but I just carried on best I could until I couldn't do much and a new consultant turned up at the hospital did a MRI and had me in 6 weeks later. My gp also pushed hard for me. I was taking so many pain killers before he was worried about the effects on my organs.

I'm still on low dose pain relief now, and I'm still not back at work because I have a very manual job and standing for long periods is not a good thing at the minute. Im bored of it now, I know they say be patient. But it's hard. It already feels so much better than before. If I didn't have the swelling and could just push a bend it would be perfect.

Just to retrain my brain now too, it still wants to carry that leg and I dont really need to anymore.

My doc has said he can do in 10 mins what it might take me 10 wks to achieve. He hasn't mentioned any bone breaking or anything though. Just gentle bending and pushing to tear this scar tissue. It's probably slightly meaner than gentle bending but I'll be sedated so that fine. I have had 7 previous surgerys on that knee and he said theres quite a bit to break down, but he'll get it done all in a one

• Posted

I had a car accident in 2009 in which I broke my tibia and femur in it..that's why they are worried about breaking my bones..9 prior surgeries myself, so a great build-up of scar tissue..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.