Study says urinating too often

Posted , 10 users are following.

From newspaper article:

We've all been there ahead of a flight, long car journey or even before going to bed: you make yourself go to the loo 'just in case', so that you don't end up crossing your legs later. Even if you don't really need to go...  But it turns out those pre-emptive pees might be harmful than you realise. In fact, according to two medical experts, the authors of new book What's Up With Your Bladder, doing so can actually end up having the opposite effect than you intended.   More specifically, it can eventually make you need the loo more often, even when your bladder isn't actually that full...  Explaining why this is the case, Dr Megan Arroll and Professor Christine Dancey revealed that emptying your bladder unnecessarily can disrupt your body's mechanism.  'There is an elegant mechanism – known as the micturition reflex – that exists between the brain and bladder to let us know when it's time to find a toilet,' they said.   'By emptying the bladder when it's not necessary, we can disrupt this process  Adding that stretch receptors send signals to the brain that a trip to the toilet might be a good idea when our bladder is about half full, the experts reveal that we can actually hold on for 'quite some time' after this point. 'Even when the bladder is over half full, we can usually manage for many hours,' the say.  With this in mind, they say going to the toilet too often when you don't actually need it can mess things up...   'Problems can start if we go to the toilet many times in the day for fear of being "caught out",' they added.   'Over time, our bodies start to think we must go to the toilet when there is very little pee to empty – meaning you really will need to go a lot more often but there will only be a small amount of urine - or at least feel like you need to go.'  But, don't worry if you think you've already messed things up for yourself because the experts say that you can regain healthy weeing behaviours.  'Fortunately, just as going too often can mess up our bodies' understanding of when we need to urinate, we can retrain the bladder and brain back into a healthy pattern,' they added. 'By gradually lengthening the time between trips to the toilet or scheduling when you visit the lavatory, it's possible to once again only go when we need to.'

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This post was fascinating!  And thank you for posting it.  There is a raging debate.  YES!  Bladder retraining is a very good thing to do.  NO!  Bladder retraining is one of the worst things you can do.  I may look into "What's Up With Your Bladder."  I'm on my way over to Amazon right now.  Thanks again derek76.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Derek. I've have been wondering about that, because I've been doing lots of preemptive peeing myself. Hank 

• Posted

Interesting, Derek. Thanks for the post.  Paul
  • Posted

Well, maybe yes and often no. If your bladder is healthy and elastic, then waiting for nature's call probably makes sense. That said, my hunch is that most of us got into the predicament we're in by "holding it in" when we were younger, which progressively stretched out bladder to the point where it stopped functioning as it should, meaning the nerves no longer tell us when the bladder is full. In this state, which many of us are in, it's better to go before nature calls rather which is the opposite of the author's advice. I will also add that my understanding is that this is not a "study" but rather excerpts from a book as part of a press promo. The author, Dr. Dr Meg Arroll, a psychologist, writes on various health topics with some other questionable assertions that may not have any scientific or study basis.

But yes, if you have overactive bladder, then holding it in, ie bladder retraining, makes sense and going before the urge doesn't. However, if your bladder is stretched and if you're in retention (or prone to it) like most of us, I think that pee before the plane ride is the way to go. Bottom line is that if you hold too much urine in the bladder, over too much time, it will stretch and therefore weaken.

Jim

• Posted

Sounds like nonsnse to me and a questionable source. Human beings evolved over millenia. I fail to think what would make Homo Sapien, let alone our antecedents. "hang on" until they found somewhere convenient and less emabarrassing to pee. I doubt they did any "bladder training".

• Posted

I agree that this might be good for young people without problems. But I am very tired of wetting my pants because I can't hold on. It is terribly embarassing. I get uncontrollable cramps that cannot be avoided. If I am in a store or driving and the urge comes, I know that I have between ten and twenty seconds to find a place to stop and pee in my little bottle or find the store restroom or I will have wet pants. I don't have "many hours" and this is describing an teenager at best! Trying to hold it does not work at all!! I am 71 years old.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.