Stuff after sitting

Posted , 9 users are following.

Does everyone else feel stiff as a board after sitting even for a little while?

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, l do Arlene. I have tried different chair heights but it makes no difference. After a few minutes sitting my knee goes stiff and l hobble into a walk then ice to relieve it. 

• Posted

Hi Arlene!

Oh, yes! Also when it RAINS or SNOWS or when it is getting ready to rain or snow, the stiffness is MUCH more pronounced!

My husband has noticed this as well. He's recently begun feeling the aches and stiffness that I have felt for a number of years.

It is raining here AGAIN today, and we are both popping more Ibuprofen than usual!

As for the stiffness, try moving and stretching as you sit. Change position every few minutes. Yes, you will look very fidgety DOING this, but it WILL help you stay loose!

I have arthritis all over my body. I had both knees replaced in 2015. They get stiff, but THEY don't ache. Arthritis is a MEAN disease!!!

Stay strong!

You have A LOT of company!??😄??

• Posted

I empathise with you, Cheryl.  My arthritis and migraines started 43 years ago.  I live in a cold, wet country and sometimes I long to live in a place where the barometric pressure doesn't rise and fall almost daily.  Arthritis is a mean disease!  We live in a tiny bungalow.  I'd love to have a bath tub to soak my old tired self in.  How much we take for granted at times.  Hope your day sees some improvements.  I was trying to do a TKR exercise and have messed my foot up.  I didn't know you weren't suppose to use exercise bands without shoes.  Now my foot is all bruised up.  Wouldn't a personal trainer be grand?!! 

• Posted

Hi Lywn!

I always do EVERY exercise without shoes! My entire six months of physical therapy ( two knees/ three months of PT per knee!!!😁😁wink I found being barefoot VERY, VERY helpful in really connecting to feeling every movement as I basically learned how to walk again! ( I had developed a very weird bent-knee form of walking without realizing it. It apparently enabled me to take some pressure off my bone-on-bone condition.) Anyway, I really needed to feel each movement after my surgeries and practiced over and over watching myself in the mirror. I learned how to take a step and place my heel down then roll my foot as I stepped to take off from my toes. This just didn't work for me well enough when I wore shoes!!!

I have always pretty much been a barefoot girl. I wear very flexible slippers and shoes only when I HAVE to (outside and in the cold weather!) I always laugh when I look down at everyone's shoes when my family is all together. Everyone is wearing shoes EXCEPT our two-year-old granddaughter and ME, the BAREFOOT GIRLS!!!😄😄

• Posted

Yes. I need to following Cheryl's advice and move and stretch when sitting for any length of time.  If I'm feeling even halfway comfortable,  I don't want to move or stretch but it is a mistake not to.    

• Posted

I don't find I do now, at nearly 8 months post op, but I did up to around 6 months have stiffness after sitting.

• Posted

Yes, stiffness after being seated is pretty much the norm for me. However, once up and moving I feel great. I am 11 months post-op TKR on my left knee and 4 weeks post-op TKR on my right knee. I think with time the stiffness will subside. Movement is key!! Best wishes to you.
  • Posted

All the time , I cannot sit still for long and all night I am moving from one chair to another it’s a pain 
    • Posted

Laila,

That is awful.  I wish I could say something helpful but this TKR has caused me so many problems I had a crying melt down this morning and I am not a crier.  I hope I don't end up worse off than before surgery. You must be exhausted from being up like that.  I just want to clean my home and go back to work.  Hope you get some relief soon.  

• Posted

Totally.  Gets better but lingers a tiny bit for me...even at 19+ months.  In the first year, I'd be sitting for a while and then get up...the first 3-5 steps were always an adventure...

• Posted

I am 12 weeks from tkr. Yes sitting just for a few minutes get me stiff.

?I am barefoot most of time inside house and after getting up from chair the first 3-5 steps are also an adventure. then stiffness goes away. I fidget all the time when I'm sitting just to get comfortable. The thing that helps me is my 2 year old cat she gets me up every few minutes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.