subclinical hyperthyroidism

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am starting a discussion on subclinical hyperthyroidism and wondered if anyone with it could relate their experiences etc.

Many thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I wasn't sure what subclinical hyperthyroidism meant so in looking it up, I understand it to mean someone who has a normal FT3 and FT4 but less than 0.01 TSH.  I fell into that category.  I have Graves disease and in fact for the first two years my TSH was less than 0.001.  This changed for me when I added supplements to my low dose of Methimazole, first Regular L-Carnitine 3,000 mg, vitamin D 1,000 IU and then Acetyl-L-Carnitine really raised my TSH to 0.70 within the normal range.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply.

​My tsh was 0.12.

​Have I been misdiagnosed?

​Did you have a thyroid antibody screening done

• Posted

Yes, I had a thyroid antibody screening done which was positive for Graves as well as a radioactive uptake scan which confirmed the diagnosis of Graves disease.  However, though it often takes time for TSH to come up once on treatment with antithyroid meds, most people in two years would have had their TSH rise and mine didn't.  It only started to rise with the addition of those supplelments after two years.  And I was tested for Carnitine, Vitamin D and Magnesium levels before I started taking these supplements and I was deficient in them.
    • Posted

Thanks Linda.

Which thyrooid antibodies were screened?

​Today I feel as though something is pressing against my throat all the time

• Posted

TSI, TBII and anti-TPO at diagnosis in 2007 and were positive.  Last year TSI, TBII, non-detectaable and TRAb less than 2.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.