Subclinical Hypothyroidism recently diagnosed

Posted , 6 users are following.

but TPO test rsults 1674.9 U/ml  normal range (0 -50). GP doesn't think treatment necessary at this time but wants to retest in 6 months, should I query this and would taking vitimins & iodine supplements help. Please comment. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Please do Not take iodine with Hashimoto's, it will actually make your antibodies even higher.  Iodine is only good for hypotyroidism that is not cause by autoimmune disease such as iodine deficiency.   
  • Posted

Iodine will make you worse as you have auto-immune hypothyroiditis. Vitamins can help alot. I'm taking vit B complex, vit D, calcium/magnesium/zinc, selenium, omegas 3, 6, 9 and supplements. Also going gluten free can help dramatically.

Dr's say there's nothing to be done about the TPO as there are no meds available for autoimmune disease. Perhaps that's why he's not worried about it right now?

What were your other results like?

• Posted

TSH (0.2 - 4.5 mU/L) 4.5 in February & 3.5 in March

Free T4 (9 - 21 pmo1/L)  10 in Feb & 11 in March

Thank you about warning on Iodine Mary. I take vit D but probably not enough and need to follow your example re other vits & supplements. Thinking about having a more comprehensive test done privately first (although expensive) as feeling very heavy headed, brain fog and other symptoms. Would like to try the above before embarking on gluton free but if I have to I will. Good to get other's opinion, thank you. 

• Posted

Hello Annie

My name is Shelly and  I am a nurse in the USA.   I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

TPOA antibodies are a sign of your immune system not working well and certain antibodies attack the thyroid. It is a way of diagnosing a condition like Hashimoto's.  Doctor's like to have 2  blood tests that are abnormal in a 6 month period of time to make sure of a diagnosis.  Sometimes if you were recently ill tests could be off.

You can ask your doctor for a starter dose of LEVO (thyroxine) 25mcg and explain your symptoms. You have in the UK "NICE Guidelines" which are helpful in getting your doctor to give you a trial.

HYPO symptoms are, brain foggy, feeling cold, low energy, muscle aches, low body temp, low pulse rate, weight gain, hair loss, depressed feelings, dry skin and brittle nails,  bruising, and there are more these are common.

Once you start LEVO and build a level the TPOA should come down.  So ask for the trial dose and do not wait 6 months.

Also vitamins are helpful to the body but must be taken about 4 hours apart from Levo.  Levo is to be taken on an empty stomach.

Any questions, just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

Some really useful information in your post, I'm learning from all you supportive folk and really grateful that everyone has taken the time to respond to my query. Thank you so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.