Success!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone had success with their GAD?  Medications/ treatments/ types of therapy like CBT and DBT?

Please share below the tips and tricks you think fellow anxiety sufferers should know!

I’ll start...

Success: Exercise & DBT classes.  DBT is the first kind of therapy that gave me some relief from worried thinking patterns. 

What I still hope to find: Medication to help ease physical symptoms of Anxiety that are sometimes crippling.

Please share below... and I send my love and understanding to all that experience any Anxiety.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

I have been suffering from depression and panic disorder for 17 years. From 2002-2014, I number myself with 3 mg of lorazepam, 5 mg of diazapam and 20mg of paroxetine. I moved to HK in 2008 and wasn’t followed up by any psychaitrist and realized I get tired easily and lost my jobs. However, during those 12 years, I had not had any panic attacks as I was on high dosage of tranquilizers. I saw a psychiatrist in 2014 and they changed my meds. He also helped me to taper off the 3 mg lorazepam which was a nightmare within 6 months. Then, I tried so many SSRI but they don’t work on me. Currently I am have CBT and I found it useful as they told me that thoughts, emotions, behaviour and physical sensations all linked together and form a vicious cycle. CBT has taught me to get familiar and “be friends “ woth those uncomfortable sensations. Just keep in mind all these sensations will harm you and you won’t die from them. They are just uncomfortable and will subside soon. I am now on 200mg seroquel, 15 mg diazapam (5 mg x 3 a day), dothiepin 25 mg and Lyrica . I am happy to hear from you about your experience . 
    • Posted

Thank you Mag, it sounds like you had a really great teacher/therapist for CBT.  I need to work on tolerating the discomfort like you spoke about.  Thank you for sharing, it helps to know some aspects that have worked for you.❤️
    • Posted

Whenever you feel panic, just keep in mind that the symptoms will go away, try to distract yourself with focusing on one object, ask yourself what colour is it, Amy words on it, read the words in your mind  and so on. Need to learn to cope with the discomfort . All the best to you and wish you all well. Are you on medication ? 
    • Posted

This is an interesting point.  As I have been battling and dissecting this for a while.  I am trying to learn to come to terms with the “feeling” when I’m having a bad moment.  I try to accept the feeling and tell myself it’s ok and that’s all that it is.  Basically embrace it.  I don’t know if this will be successful.  We’ll see. 
  • Posted

Below is what I do.  I’m not 100% satisfied. Always looking to learn more and improve my plight. Hope this helps others.  Best wishes. 

Prozac 20mg

Lorazepam .5mg (as needed)

Melatonin 5mg (night time)

Exercise

No caffeine or alcohol 

Eat healthier 

Meditation and mindfulness exercises 

Breathing exercises 

Avoid stressful situations 

Sleep

Psych visit 1x per month

• Posted

I’m looking for a new psychiatrist but the last one wanted me to take Prozac and I’m ready to try once I find a new doctor.  

Thank you for sharing the multitude of things that you actively do every day to increase your chances of lowering your suffering with Anxiety.  Sleep, exercise, nutrition ... thanks for helping me feel more motivated to keep trying to support a healthier mind, and know that someone else out there is doing that, too.❤️

• Posted

Hi magmag.  My anxiety has resulted in panic attacks on occasions.  At the moment I still experience anxiety in the morning, but it seems to be more manageable.  My anxiety is more so related to work stress.  Without my current routine, I’m a mess.  Note, I’ve only been on Prozac for about 6wks.  Im just getting past the debilitating side effects (I hope).  Taking things one day at a time. 
    • Posted

Sarah, just know your not alone... we’re all in this together.  I read these posts to help cope and learn from others.  There is a lot of firsthand Prozac info here before you make a decision.  I wish you well.  
    • Posted

I tried Prozac before and it didn’t work well. How do you manage your anxiety ? I feel anxious in the mornings too with panicky and racing heart . 
    • Posted

The Prozac has been helping (I think...).  However if I have a really bad episode I take Lorazepam .5mg.  Sometimes, if I’m lucky, I can preemptively use some breathing and mindful techniques to settle myself down.  Yeah, the mornings I’m the most vulnerable.  I think it’s because my mind gets ahead of myself pre-thinking about my day.  Really frustrating!

• Posted

Hi tsea.Did you hAve to wait 6 weeks for the Prozac to start working. I am feeling quite anxious for things to kick in , all on edge.

thanks.

• Posted

Hi Pamela, I started to see some changes/improvements at week 3, although it was up and down.  At week 6 is where I started to have more ups than downs if that makes sense.  I think I’m at week 8/9 and I feel much much better.  It’s important to note, i don’t consider my situation “solved” to my expectation, but it’s much improved.  I still incorporate my other supporting routines to ensure I’m working at it.   In speaking with my dr and what I read, the meditation doesn’t get fully bedded-in for up to 3-4 months.  So I’m looking forward to more improvements and stabilization.   Just those first few weeks are very uncomfortable, but that subsides and you’ll see improvements.  I hope this is helpful.  

Note: To me this why I believe incorporating some supporting routines/techniques are important during the initial weeks to help get past that uncomfortable phase. 

• Posted

Thanks tsea for your reply . It's a difficult place to be. You are helpful in giving your side of the story. 

• Posted

Pamela, I’ve learned so much from everyone from these forums.  It helps to share and support one another.  We’re all going through so much, it’s good to do it together.  
    • Posted

Exactly!  For me anyway, our community is very supportive while each of us go through this in our own ways.  Otherwise I have no one that can relate...  Most people don’t quite get it.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.