Success Stories

Posted , 6 users are following.

I know there's a lot of talk around side effects and bad experiences which is needed but I was wondering if people wanted to share the success they're having with it and positive things that people who are starting out like me can look forward to ? smile hope all is well!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

After 8 weeks. Feel tip top. Getting in with my life.
  • Posted

Hi DannyGee,

?Yes, it is always good to hear the good stories indeed!!!  I have been on Cital for going on 4 years, and still doing well, and feel great.  My story is a bit different.  I did not have all the awful side effects you hear about from others, I was lucky I guess.  My doctor started me on 20mg from the beginning.  I did not have this forum to go to back then, or I did not know about it anyway.  So, I did not hear about all the bad stuff, and my doctor did not "warn" me about anything bad.  The only thing they told me was to take it at night about 30 minutes before bed with a little food.  I had no upset stomach, what it did do for me, was help me sleep through the night!!  As I was only getting 2-3 hours a night, so I was very greatful for that!!!  I did not have hightened anxiety during the day, no bad headaches and such. 

So, you see DannyGee, not everyone gets all the bad stuff you hear about.  Sometimes I think the more people read about all the bad stuff, it plays with our minds, and we get even more freaked out about it.  Sometime I think the less we know ahead of time, the better.  Now, this is not always true of course, but for some it can be.  It is part of our obsessive side, and really can make things worse.  Just depends on the person.  And some people's bodies react differently to medications.  I am really surprised for me...as I am allergic to so many medications, and I had/have no problem with it.  So, there is no one size fits all.  Some people can not take it, and will have to switch to another type of med.  Just something you will have to try for yourself, and see how it goes.  Try not to take one, and sit there expecting to have some crazy thing happen immediately, is my only suggestion.  Take your dose, and either go to bed, and try not to think about it, wake up and go about your day...and so on.  I wish you all the best of luck!!!  We are all here for you if you feel you want to talk, or need more information at any time!!  We all have been through similar things, there is no judgement here, so you can feel free to say anything you need to say, or ask!!!  God Bless DannyGee! 

• Posted

2 Success Stories - keeping it in the family!

I was ill for 16 years with anxiety / depression, and anti depressants, therapy, talking etc didn't work.  I was eventually put onto SSRI's and 6 months later I'd fully recovered.

I stayed on meds for 16 years, reducing from 20mg to 10mg for a maintenance dose and finally came off 2 years ago and went onto 5-HTP and l-tyrosine, a natural SSRI bought over the counter with great success.

2 years ago sadly my 20 year old son had a melt down and was prescribed Fluoxetine.  He went through hell and couldn't work for 4 months.  If I'd had it bad with this illness, it was much worse watching your child suffer.  It was heartbreaking.  With the help of the family, it took 9 months for him to recover and has been well ever since, and now has a social life, met his lovely girlfriend and are still together. biggrin

During my sons illness I felt the need to return to these meds because the stress began making me ill again.  Second time around on the meds it took me about 8 months before I felt completely well again, and I've just spent this last year reducing my meds and have finally stopped, again returning to 5-HTP and l-tyrosine.  

SSRI's do work if people give them time.  They're tough, but for me, the illness was even tougher.  They were my saviour, and my sons too.

Am happy again biggrin

• Posted

Hi again Katecogs,

Just wondered how long you had completely finished the citalopram before starting the 5HTP and L-Tyrosine?

So glad all is well for you and your family x

• Posted

Hi Gerrymoo (such a great name btw)

Thanks - it was an emotional and very tough time when my son was ill, but all good now.

I started 5-HTP etc about 3 days after my last dose of Cit.  I thought that since I was on such a miniscule dose of 1.25gm I guessed there couldn't be too much in my body.  All is well so far - I'm feeling well, no anxiety, no depression - and no side effects as you do from Cit.

😄🎉

• Posted

That's fantastic you must have had a great withdrawl schedule. How did you measure 1.25mg. Did you have the liquid?

• Posted

No, I crushed the last 5mg piece that I'd already chopped up, brushed all the powder together and then just divided it into half and finally half again with a knife.  It was miniscule.  Felt like a drugs baron 😄 Lol

• Posted

Good for you !

I'm going to follow your guide if you'll let me have it for when I come off it which won't be just yet of course. If I send you me email by private message could you email me your withdrawl schedule from 20mg. I can print it off then . Many thanks Katecogs!

• Posted

Hi Kate

I came off years ago with no withdrawal symptoms using the 10% method. Recommended by some pharmaceutical university in America. Every 2-4 weeks reduce by 10%. If you are on 10mg, first reduction would be 9%. Then 10% of 9mg. You don't have to be scientific just fragment off.

Hope this helps. You can also search "taper off ssri 10% method"

I think it's quite ridiculous that doctors surgest halving tablets etc.

Alex

• Posted

How are you feeling Danny Gee?

You sounded in a bad way the other day from your post, hope you're starting to feel better x

• Posted

Hey! I feel a lot better after my rough few days, I had such heightened anxiety in the first few days of taking it that I didn't know what to do or who to turn to and I gusss I just panicked, kinda pathetic really. Things are on the up though and thank you so much for your support! smile

• Posted

Don't worry Danny Gee I was just the same - it's incredibly frightening. So glad you're feeling a bit better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.