Success story of Citalopram

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi for anyone who is struggling I started on 10mg of Citalopram 7 weeks ago for work related stress I was very anxious and it did make the anxiety a lot worse the first 5 days after that I was ok my sleep wasn't great but to be expected then after 6 weeks I had an awful day with intrusive thoughts etc so went up to 15mg as going to 20mg I didn't want the side effects again I did feel very shaky and mornings where very hard but after a week I'm feeling good and today I hit up and my hands where steady I went out to the shops and for a walk without hardly thinking about anything. This has taken 2 months so to anyone who is wondering if can take months to get well but it definitely is worth it I had a little tear today as I lost myself for a while but have found me now and I know in more time I will be my bubbly confident happy self and may have the odd down day but who doesn't. This forum is the best thing I did and will continue if I can help other people as they helped me thank you, Debbie

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi debbie glad to hear this is working for you me to been taking 10mg for a couple of months still feel not to good i feel abit fearful to go straight onto 20mg so may do what you did and go up to 15mg as dont want these nasty side effects . are you still only taking 15mg or have you gone up to the 20mg now.do you still feel strange not all there like i do i also get a few headaches.
    • Posted

Hi Markey b. When I went up to 20mg I did get a few side effects back but only very minimal and very manageable. I went straight from 10 to 20 and it's helped me immensely.

• Posted

Hi Marky, I went from 10 to 15 and not gone to 20 yet but like Katy says it might be easier to go from 10 to 20 but I will stay on 15 and see how I go but we are all do different andcyes at first for about 5 weeks had no headaches but getting them now only mild think it's just tense headaches

• Posted

Hi Debbie. This is a lovely story to read. I started taking the citalopram the same time as you and my story is very similar to you. The first week was horrendous. I couldn't get out of bed, my anxiety was through the roof and I could see any light at the end of the tunnel. But then it got better, slowly. I'm now up to 20mg and I see the old me back agai. Almost no anxiety whatsoever and I'm enjoying life again. For anyone else just starting out, just stick at. Well done Debbie. X

• Posted

makes me start to think a feel better just hearing success. great i hope this starts to work for soon.smile

• Posted

Hi Katie so glad you're back to yourself and I might go to 20 and stick on that but I think I was just being a wuss going up 15 first haha. I believe we should put on good stories too as we need hope aswell and thanks for your message x

• Posted

This is great to read Debbie, Ive been on citalopram for about 8 years and during that time had some very horrible things go wrong in life. Im sure having citalopram helped me to get thru those rough times.
    • Posted

Hi Cookienz,

Yes I'm sure it did help you and thanks for the message

Debbie

• Posted

It makes me feel good to read this post. I started on 10mg 7 weeks agondoc wanted to up me to 20mg did that for 2 days and it was too much of a jump because i am just now starting to feel better. As others have mentioned the first 15 days i woke up with anxiety everyday still but the 0.5mg of xanax 2x daily helped with that thankfully. I am just now to the point to hopefully start weaning off the xanax because i am almost back to my full self. I will be uping my dose soon but think i will try the 15mg first just so i dont have to go through all those symptoms again. Thank you for the encouragement .
  • Posted

Hi Debbie,

Great news!

And if there is any doubt from anyone, that, being one of the lucky ones, you are about or on your level then they should read your post over again.  It is inspiring, even though I say this with a little envy, because you stuck with it and maintain a pretty even keel through all the stormy weather and now you are at the stage many of us took longer to get to.  It is also great that you will keep in touch and help as and where you can, giving a little back which we all need.

You have touched upon this, but I shall mention it again, there may be blips or days when, like everyone, you may feel a bit low or down, but I am sure you'll take it in your stride in your way.  In fact just re-reading your post is possibly all the inspiration you'll need.  I'm sure it'll help others as I find it inspirational too.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Thanks David, I do get days where a little wave fear comes over me for about 10 seconds but instead of resisting it I relax and let it pass which helps a lot but all in all I'm moving forward and like to give hope to people. Did you used to get them little fearful waves now and again and do you find letting it pass like a cloud helped? I do also feel better when the suns out I suppose we all do! Debbie

• Posted

I got them for months and montths after, but they gradually wore off, in fact we can't remember when they stopped, they just did!  The cloud analogy is excellent and you should use that when helping others.  I always go on about the emergency duvet to crawl under and curl up in, but if you don't mind?  I shall say that 'someone' here suggested trying to "Let it pass as a cloud". Which is definitely a great suggestion when we are 'passed' the duvet stage!  We know if the odd one is coming and we just adjust and carry on (letting it pass like a cloud I can now say!)

Someone, I worked with a few years ago, reckoned he suffered from slight SAD in the darker months.  So, I made sure I got him in the office secret Santa.  I went to store before Poundland came to town, but in the same vein, bought a wide brimmed straw summer hat they, fortunately, found in the store room, then I bought a battery operated strip of 10 star Christmas Lights.  I strapped the battery unit to the upper side of the brim and back of the head part. run the lights to the front, slipped the stars off the end and pushed each of the light fittings through the straw to the under side of the front, then secured each one.  I gave him it and he loved it!  Walked about wearing the hat with light shining down in front of his face!   He also wore it in church (he's a Vicar) as part of one of his sermons apparantly!  Lol!

Yes, we all do get days when we ain't 100%, but it is at times like this and reading a post like yours that gives me, anyway, a lift!

Thanks for sharing Debbie. x

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David of course use the passing cloud it has helped me rather than resist the feelings it works much better and thank you for letting me know you had the fearful waves and one day it went. That's a great story about the light brimmed hat haha may try that! Lol

Thank you for your help and positivity also x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.