Successful for obsessive thinking?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has this drug help anyone with obsessive thoughts? I'm on a nonstop loop and I want to hear success stories to give me hope. The site is so great and it's so good to feel the support from others going through this. Thank you all!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

YES!!! Helped me with intrusive thoughts. I take 10 mg and has worked great!

Good luck.

• Posted

I have not found Citalopram to help with obsessive thoughts. 
  • Posted

Hi

Yes definitely. I was plagued with thoughts and anxiety for 16 years - constantly. Started these meds and recovered in 6 months.

Thoughts are just another symptom of anxiety, and the thoughts make you anxious, so you get caught in a cycle. Your mind gets tired and anxious thoughts stick to a tired mind.

These meds work by reducing the anxiety, calming you - as the anxiety calms so the thoughts lose their importance, eventually don't bother you, and get out back into context.

K x

• Posted

Typo - PUT back into context (not out) 🙄

• Posted

Thank you so much for explaining it to me. I'm just kind of lost with all this and my doctor didn't explain anything. I didn't know what caused this and I just want to feel better and calm again.

• Posted

I'm on day five and having a lot of issues. Just hoping things ease up

• Posted

You should do in time. The meds can cause these thoughts too for a while. They make it worse before it gets better - heightened anxiety, which probably is why the thoughts get bad for a while.

The meds can take a long time to work - they're not an overnight fix. Be patient with them - you may think you're not getting better for ages, but you ar - just that you can't see it. Your body has to adapt to the meds. Everyone takes different times to heal too - weeks or months. Also recovery often comes in waves so you'll begin to feel well, then ill again, well, ill etc with it easing as time progresses.

They're good meds - give them time.

K x

• Posted

Do you mind my asking what dosage you're taking and how long you've been taking Citalopram?

• Posted

Hang in there.....in my case, just so you know......when you up your dosage you may get a few of the side effects you got when you first started the medication so don't worry.  Great that you started on small dose. 

• Posted

I'm knee deep in side effects right now! Ha! Thank you for the kind words. Just trying to see the light

• Posted

Try your Breathing Exersises and Relaxation Techniques.

Find something that will devert your mind away from your obsession, some people use puzzles and that can shift your thoughts. Just try an interest to break up your obsession. What intersts do you have.

BOB

• Posted

Since my anxiety started about 5 to 6 months ago I have not even had the patience to sit and watch the television. My mind is constantly going and just recently I have turned of the medication.
    • Posted

I read an article and it said put a funny voice to your obsession or imagine a cartoon character saying your obsession. Worked for me. And remember they are just thoughts.
    • Posted

Thank you Melissa! I just learned yesterday after all this time that obsessive thoughts are just anxiety. I know this sounds like a very simple thing that everyone should know but I had no idea I am now treating my anxiety with the medication and hoping this works. Today is day six and this is the first time in a little while that I've had very visible symptoms of anxiety. The process of thoughts of stayed put all the physical stuff ended months ago.

• Posted

Awb1977

There are good days and bad days. I am on day 11 and I still have side effects not as intense but its frustrating when you just want to be well. Hang in there, we are all here to support each other.

Renee

• Posted

I sure hope we all start feeling better. Thank you so much for your words. Let's all to try to keep our heads up

• Posted

The medicine worked well for me. Hopefully it will do the same with you (-:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.