sudden knee pain after 4 months after TKR

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had bilateral knee replacement 4 months ago. My left knee has been swollen and stiff since the start, but my right knee has been great...until 3 days ago. I walk down a pretty steep set of stairs that day. Now, on the outside of my right knee, I have very sharp pain if I put any weight on the knee - which means it hurts if I walk. I'm trying to keep it elevated, but it hasn't helped. I'm limping and using my cane again. I thought maybe I just stretched a tendon.  Any ideas? Should I call my surgeon? 

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi !

You probably over did it . Four months isn't that far out . Sorry your going through this sad

I am one year out from a partial and I am in the midst of a major set back with swelling from overdoing it the last three days . Back to iceing and elevating . That's the medicine.

Debbie

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Concern is CONSTANT pain vs intermittent. Id see doc...
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I had left knee replaced in February. It was progressing nicely, too, until April 14. Then out of nowhere, I started getting pain when I put pressure on it to stand or walk. I also had trouble straightening it, where I had been at a 0 flex. Surgeon thought maybe it was scar tissue and said she would manipulate it when I had replacement surgery on right knee on April 24. The  manipulation didn't have any effect. She gave me a cortisone shot in it, which was also not effective. It feels like something is rubbing and grinding from around 30 degrees until I straighten it. She took X-rays and said there was nothing wrong with the component. Her comment on a sunrise view X-ray said, "subtle tilt to left patella". I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my pain. She said no, that it had been like that since surgery and I would have had pain the whole time.  It has gotten a little better, but is still not up to where it was before this happened. My right knee surgery seems to have been successful. I go back on June 16 to the surgeon. She said if the left knee isn't better, she would go in with a scope to see what is going on. I have to say this has been a very discouraging several months. I thought if I did what surgeon and pt's told me to do, everything would go smoothly. I have found out that's not the case. I wish you well with your knee problem. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Donna,

My left knee did same!! Pain w bend at 30-90. Rice crispy feeling and size of quarter.Cortisone ineffective. Right knee is great!! Scope done and found huge bone spur (osteophyte)that didnt show on xray. I had to wait 2wks after shot and 2wks for surgery date. Doc ground it out 3wks ago today. After it was out, i could climb stairs, do squats and lunges. Today was my last day of PT. I was signed off! But, i thought same, i fid everything they said, what happened?! But thats a bone spur for you...after i cried, felt shock after doc visit, i moved forward and it all worked out!! 6 1/2months today ftom initial surgrry and rtnd to work yesterday full 12hr day.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up