sudden onset of Citalopram side effects?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on Citalopram for 2 years now and I've never had any horrible side effects at all when I've started to take it and neither the other two periods of time.

I wanted to start reducing my meds as I'm currently on 20mg per day, so initially I took a tablet every alternate night for about 3-4 days but after doing that I woke up suddenly just like one of the other posts on here with my heart tracing, feeling like a cold breeze was blowing over me, I was trembling, diaheria and so anxious. It just so happens that night I took a tablet. Initially I thought it was because I had reduced my meds too quickly so after go A&E to make sure I was ok , I contacted GP who said we should do it more slowly under her guidance. So I've wanted to even out first by taking my usual dose of 20 for another few days because I go down to 10. But tonight I had the same issues. Suddenly woken up in middle of night, racing heart, light headed was, diaheria so I'm now thinking that after being on the medication for 2 years, why am I only having these niw? I'm concerned that the serotonin in my system is too high (and not too low as I thought after my first horrible episode), maybe I need to just get off this stuff and just reduce to 10mg each night. When I tried that the only thing I had was snappiness and a bit of aggression but that I can live with! Would appreciate any input as to why after 2 years, I'm suddenly having scary side effects and being affected by a drug that I got on with.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The usual way to reduce medicine is to take less every day not to skip days. Maybe try 15 every day for a while
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

After being on it so long, you really have to be careful, and go slowly coming off of it.  I agree, I think you need to start with 15 first, then go down to 10, and then follow your doctor’s instructions.  Going from 20 straight to 10 might be too much of a jump for you at first.  I have been on 20mg for 3 years, and like you, I have been lucky, I did not have a lot of the problems that others have had in the beginning.  I think that would be the way I would do it, slowly, 15, 10, 5 and then off.  Some have been on it longer, and had a heck of a time coming off of it, because they either took themselves off cold turkey, or went down too fast, but you really have to do it right, or you can have a bad time.  I think by skipping doses, you got yourself in a bit of a pickle.  I wish you good luck!!!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I think my Dr is going to reduce to 10mg per day because I have symptoms of serotonin syndrome. I just want off this stuff now.
  • Posted

Hello Lisa,

I completely agree with everything Diedra has said. I would add that you need plenty of support (such as this site which I have only just discovered) to get you through this. My doctor told me I would be on thees till my dying day such was my depression. No No No I have paid a massive price for my 20 years usage in the form of weakened bones. Hang on in there and lean on your friends

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.