Sudden period after almost a year, not menopause

Posted , 2 users are following.

So, my relationship with my period has always been abnormal. At least, I have always though it was.

When I first got my period, I didn't get it again for a year. Then, over the years it became more regular.

I started birth control 2 years ago and I would sometimes skip periods by not taking the sugar pills because I have a heavy flow and I didn't want to deal with my period every month.

In February of 2018, I ran out of my birth control and never went to get a new pack. It wasn't a problem because my long term partner and I were okay if I got pregnant.

I have not had a single period until late December.

I am currently on my first period since February 2018 and it's been 13 days since I've been on it. I am having a heavy flow with huge (and a lot) of blood clots. It doesn't seem like it's going to ease up soon.

I'm also a little surprised that my partner and I haven't conceived within the year because we do have a healthy sex life.

Is this all normal or should I be worried?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you been tested for polcystic ovarian syndrome?

• Posted

I've never been tested, no.

When I was a teen, I had gone into the doctor's with my mom (I can't remember what for), but my doctor was concerned about my hormones. I'm quite hairy, especially on my arms, and my doctor was curious about it. However, my mom intervened and said that it's probably normal because my aunt is also quite hairy.

Could that be a symptom?

• Posted

A lot of your symptoms sound like polycystic ovarian syndrome, it would be a good idea to get your hormones tested to see if there is an imbalance. You can also get an ultrasound to look at your ovaries to see if you have cysts. other symptoms are weight gain, acne and mood swings. A lot of people are put on metformin when trying to conceive and during pregnancy who have PCOS. It helps balance your hormones and makes it less likely when you are pregnant to have a miscarriage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.