Suffer with bad anxiety and mild depression has got worse over last month

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been on citalopram for 8 years but last few weeks my symptoms seem to have all come back like they started off 8 years ago went to docs today he has increased my dose from 20mg to 30mg but me being so anxious am nervous about taking the other 10mg just want to feel normal again

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Why don't you try the extra meds just for 4 weeks, Dr wouldnt give you them if they didnt think you would benefit from them. Take each day at a time. Be good to yourself, have lots of ME time. I find creative things like adult colouring help a lot. You will be fine and you will feel normal again.

Increased dose has been my saviour.

Hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Thanks will give it a try tonight when I take my regular dose..just want to feel normal again
  • Posted

Hi Lucy,  I agree with Katie, give the 30mg a try for a while, sometime we need a little boost, then we can come back down after a while.  I've been on Cital 20mg for 3 years, and if I had to go up, I would if the doctor said to, knowing I can always slowly go back to the 20's.  Or it could very well be, you have been on so long, you could need a change to a different med now.  But, you have had good luck with Cital so far, your doctor must have faith in them to do the trick on the higher dose for you.  At least give it a try, it can't hurt, your body is already used to them.  Good Luck to you Lucy!!  XO
    • Posted

Thanks I think I might give it a go tonight when I take my regular 20mg just don't understand why I've been so good for so long then bam all of a sudden back to square one and the anxiety is terrible which I think is making me depressed
    • Posted

Sometimes I think your body gets used to these drugs. Might even be something simple like being a little short in one vitamin, just upsets the balance. The important thing is you are getting help
    • Posted

Yes could be I know last week I did miss two doses just totally forgot maybe this could be the reason the way I am feeling
    • Posted

Hi again Lucy...I know this is a personal question...and of course you don't have to answer...have you had any alcohol to drink recently?  That can can cause a real mess in us with our Cital.  Sorry, was just thinking of reasons for this.  But, there are so many things it could be.  I hope the bump up will help you!!  Good Luck!
    • Posted

Hi no haven't had any alcohol at all now for 7 weeks cos I can't cope with the hangovers and bad anxiety that comes after it
    • Posted

Ok, well that's actually really good, as it does not mix well with the Cital.  The alcohol is a depressant, and the meds just can't do their job. 

You know, you might just need a change after being on it for 8 years.  There is supposed to be a newer version of Cital out that people say is good, and less side effects.  Might want to run that by your doctor, see what they have to say.   I know it's frustrating!!  I'm keeping you in my prayers!  XO

• Posted

I increased a few months ago. After the side effects wore off and I got used to new dose I felt better. Still have occasional moment but usually if something or of ordinary happening and I just tell myself I'm fine and sometimes have a natural spray to help. It always passes.
  • Posted

I know how you feel and I hate that feeling. But I strongly suggest you follow the doctors orders. It may take a few weeks to start working, but it's definitely worth a try. I really hope it works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.