Suffering and a change of meds

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi ive been suffering from acid reflux since my holiday early december. my doctor put me on lanzoprozole and at first i thought i was slightly better but then i have got worse. the out of hours gp has switched me to ranetadine 150mg twice and day and i see my doc tomorrow. surely this lower dose medicine cant work for me. i felt like i have made a wrong decision and dont know what to do?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

ranetadine is less powerful than ppi , you might be getting the rebound symptoms. I am suffering from acid reflux for nearly 2 years now & doc prescribed me Pantoprazole. although at first it looks like i was getting better but i was not . every time i tried to stop that med i got horrible acid reflux. PPI just control the symptoms it does not treat it. since then i am getting one after another symptoms stomach pain ,lump in throat etc. Try to stay on  ranetadine for a week at-least if its come under control then its good thing. ranetadine does not have the rebound effect like ppi. I am trying to get off this pill for god sake . I am on a half dose now & feeling a bit better .

Just don't get stressed it will not help rather it will make the acid reflux worse.Stay stress free & do some exercise it will be a lot better. 

• Posted

A PPI does two things, first it reduces the amount of acid created by your body to reduce/stop the reflux (that depends on the dose) and also it heals your insides from the damage caused by the reflux.  BUT you play an important part here in what you eat, and your body stresses, which generate that acid.  It can take some time to get the dose right  and its not a case of a lower dose med, its what works for you. 

You need to give any of these meds time to work. A PPI can take about 4 weeks before you know its really working, which is why the originally trial period is 8 weeks. You may be able to control your reflux via diet and lifestyle changes. I can't because my body generates far too much acid and that is being careful with what I eat. 

Remember that you can't see the damage being done by reflux to your insides and its important to get it under control and not ignore it. 

• Posted

Have you had your acid levels tested? How old are you? I ask because after suffering on Lazoprozole for months with every reflux symptom there is, burning and raw all the way into my mouth, nose & eyes, I found out I actually have TOO LITTLE stomach acid. After 50, our acid levels normally fall on their own.The PPIs were prescribed without testing me and they were literally about to kill me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.