Suffering from diverticulitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

On my 3rd week from hospital and antibiotics. I get major pain at times still that cause bad headaches nausea, high blood pressure and pulse. Ugh takes awhile for it to go away. Scares me. I lay down hug a heating pad and take a tylenol. Puts my anxiety into panic. Anyone else go through this pain and gas.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes it’s all part of this disease.  Anxiety makes it worse.  The heating pad is good.  Ask your doctor for Bentyl. It helps relax the bowel from spasms.  You’ll be fine just have to adjust to the right food choices. Insoluble foods are to be eaten in limited amounts.  Such as skins, seeds.  Google insoluble foods.  You’ll be able to read about how they can cause problems.  Take care.😘

• Posted

Ty, i just cannot handle being down, i am impatient. I want this to go away. I started going on walks and it seems to help but does cause more discomfort. And yes the anxiety does make it worse. How long does this last? Again ty its good to know im not alone wink
    • Posted

It all depends on the severity of the flare up but it took me three months until I felt myself.  Every little pang put me in fear mode.

Keep your bowels moving.  Miralax is good.  Cook food in crockpot or until soft. Avoid meat unless ground meat and gradually add some fiber to diet.  I watch amount of fiber because it irritates me.  You know if your intestines are inflamed buy a burning when you have a bowel movement.   I can’t eat nachos at all. They are hard for me to digest. I don’t eat popcorn and haven’t in ten years. You’ll adjust and I tell everyone I eat what agreed with me and it’s not much that is healthy. Raw veggies I can’t tolerate as well as fruits so applesauce, canned peaches are my fruit choices. Every now and again I peel and apple or fresh peach.  Take care and try not to worry. I know it’s eady for me to say but I’ve been dealing with this for twenty years. Xo

• Posted

I am starting to feel a lill better, but the eating is the hardest, ive been dairy free but was wandering if I can start having greek yogurt. Alot of my blended drinks call for yogurt of some kind. I have switched to Almond milk which is working good. And still doing enriched white bread. Was also wandering about Avacados and spinach. So as you see Im having a hard time knowing what is best to eat. Im 3 weeks off hospital Iv and home antibiotics. Any good ideas to send my way.
  • Posted

Hi Vickie,,

My recoveries have been slow also. I blame the anxious feeling on the antibiotics. At least a good portion! My last ER visit was Feb3 and the nausea finally went away a week ago. I still have pain that comes and goes now but had it throughout the antibiotics.

I can’t seem to add a lot of fiber in or I’m miserable! Tylenol and heating pad help.

It’s a crazy problem and everyone is so different in their recovery. I have found the Drs are not very helpful. They give two choices surgery or the same antibiotics that make you so sick!

• Posted

Ty for the helpful words, yeah my anxiety is so bad and makes things so worse. Im inpatient and just want to be better and go back to work. Im starting to eat more low fiber varieties and i keep a journal, its hard to know which food causes pain and discomfort. The Drs say all labs and CTs are normal and the healing process takes time. I agree they dont get it or fully understand. And searching the web for DD stuff is stressful cuz so many diff things and contridictions. Glad I found this site, its been nice not to feel all alone going through this nasty disease. And getting helpful ideas. God bless all and speedy recovery for those suffering.
    • Posted

This site has been so helpful esp when I was the most desperate for answers and advice. Again a lot of decisions to make! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.