Suffering from health anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, not sure why I'm doing this but I feel like I need to reach out and talk to people about it. I'm 18 years old and my problems really started like 3 months ago when I found out I had Scoliosis that was never treated during growth, it wasn't anything serious but this is what really started my health anxiety issues. Since then every time I get any sensation in my body or feeling I seem to think it's something new or somehow convince myself it's really serious to the point where I feel depressed, I feel like I am living my life currently as if I am terminally ill!! I've went from thinking I have MS, ALS to heart issues over the space of 2 months. Most of which was cleared up by the doctor with ecgs etc.

About 3 weeks ago the doctor also told me my thyroid is Overactive, however after 2 or 3 tests it came back underactive, then Overactive again so it's been all over the place. As soon as I'd left the doctors that day I've felt this tight feeling around my neck (just below my Adams apple) and I literally cannot stop thinking about it regardless of the fact I have no difficulty swallowing, pain or anything, it's just a focus on the neck. The thyroid problems have had me constantly worrying about cancer and stuff even though I'm showing none of the symptoms. I just want to try and put an end to this health anxiety but I don't know how, even when I avoid the Internet and Googling symptoms I then make them up in my head, thinking that it's probably cancer or something.

I can't keep going to the doctor for everything because the "symptoms" are changing all the time around my body and I'm focused on new stuff every day which comes and goes. I've been worried about it to the point where I gave myself a tension headache for nearly 5 days and my neck muscles were all tight and tender. Naturally I assumed the worst and thought I had brain cancer. The thing is, I'm a logical person but my mind doesn't listen.

Sorry for the massive paragraphs, I just felt I had to vent these feelings and didn't know where to go.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I relate to your post quite a bit!  I hope sharing your feelings helps.

Although this may not be helpful for you, I also have non-serious scholiosis and all you missed by not being treated was radiation from all the x-rays they take of your back as you're growing and they're monitoring you.

I completely understand making up symptoms, focusing too much on one part of the body or another, and trying to avoid Google (google can just make things so much worse).  Generally, going to the doctor would help me forget about the most recent concern and I'd move on to another.  I did some amazingly illogical things when I was concerned about my health (like you, I was also perfectly aware they were not logical at the time and it was a constant battle in my own head). 

I learn towards natural methods of dealing with anxiety whenever possible (yoga and mindfulness meditation) but that takes some real dedication to follow through with and mindfullness seems to need real training to be fully effective (the training is availible in my city and you could check yours as well if it's something that interests you).

I wish you the best.

• Posted

Thanks Megan, it's good to know that other people are and have went through similar things! I have began to try meditation as well to relax although keeping it regular has been tough! It's weird cause there are moments where I actually forget about my symptoms and as soon as I snap back into it they instantly come back! What did you find was the most effective way to forget/not focus on your health or day to day things happening with your body?

• Posted

Hi Ollie try taking a walk i notice it takes of the edge for a short time
    • Posted

For me, my distraction is going to work.  Lol, teaching in an elementary school is this constant input of things I have to do and I had no time during those hours to worry about my health (I really do just focus in on the kids and forget everything else).  Of course, the problem would come back as soon as I get in the car!

I delt with it a bit like I do with the ocassional OCD, because it's very similar is some ways.  I start by dealing with the physical actions (in this case it could be researching, checking temperture, staring at your toe and measuring for swelling because you're sure you got blood poisening from fungus at the pool or something...).  I don't let myself do those things.  It's really, really difficult but it's still something I have more control over then my thoughts.  It takes a long time but the stress of not checking for problems dimishes as nothing happens (hey that blood poisening didn't kill me after all) and eventually I just move on.  During the time in between I read a lot and play computer games that are fast paced and engaging enough to require most of my focus... I don't know that it would work for everyone.  It works for me.

• Posted

Hi Ollie,

I too have scolosis and i had the monitoring when i was younger, xrays and examinations every 6 months to yearly as i got older. that is all they done really.

I now have lower lumbar chronic pain, i get anxious and have depression because of this.

Try taking Kalms they help me with my anxiety, you can get them from any supermarket. worth a try.

Thyroid problems are nothing to be overly concerned with if your gp mintors you.

Please dont google symptoms you will make yourself more worried. been there got the t-shirt i am afraid.

Apply heat to the tight muscles and see how you go.

Take Care

• Posted

Hey Dawn, my Scoliosis hasn't given me any bother, I actually discovered it by accident but it was definitely what started the health anxiety. I will definitely look into kalms! I wish you the best with your health smile

• Posted

This is me all over mine started when I was actually diagnosed with thyroid cancer and everything escalated from there I'm the same I google everything I've gone from having sepsis to endocarditis to a brain abscess in a week even though deep down I know I'm fine I'm really struggling at the moment and my main focus seems to be on my hear constantly at the hospital and having tests to be told I'm ok I'm guessing it will get easier when I finally tell myself it's all in my head the thing with anxiety I think half the time you are looking for symptoms and then you start noticing things more like me with my heart ive always had a fast heart rate but only now I'm more focused on it xx

• Posted

Yeah, I hope everything is well with you now! I am currently getting tests done aswell as my thyroid function is off, I've had a tight feeling in my neck which has had me worried! I wish you the best of luck with tackling your anxiety as well smile

• Posted

I understand where u coming from i had a sinius infection 4 weeks ago and it hit me bad im never ill but it knocked me for six the sinius had gone but I'm now left anxcious I get sore heads find it hard to go out u think that something wrong with meand there isn't igot four blood tests done all clear paramedics out twice I go for walks it takes some tension away in on medication but been on it only 3 days of I can help in here

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.