Suffering from Health Anxiety for Weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been suffering from health anxiety, everytime I wake up I tend to check my self if anything changed or appeared, it frightens me when every i feel i ithcy, I always think that im dying soom from cancer, hiv or any disease. What should I do? Its affecting my work and my social life

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matthew, the same thing has been happening to me for months. I always think I've got cancer or some horrible desease that's gonna kill me soon. I check my body daily and even a new spot or pimple is enough to send me in a blind panic, curling into a ball n crying my eyes out.

My social life is non existent now and thank heavens the job I do I'm alone and it doesn't require me to talk much to anyone.

It keeps getting worse so yesterday I finally gave in and went to a doctor. I will get back my lab results in a few days and I'm already terrified. The doctor referred me to a psychiatrist though without waiting on test reaults. Hopefully the blood test doesn't say I'm dyingsad

• Posted

Exactly Nattalie, I know to myself that I am alright and Im healthy but I dont know whats happening.
  • Posted

You can protect yourself against HIV. If the diseases don't have cures or preventions or the cures are iffy or pretty bad its not very helpful to worry about them. Do what you can to prevent disease or be tested for diseases that have treatments. For instance limiting alcoholic beverages will delay some diseases or stop some

• Posted

That's so true. I have severe health anxiety but I never worry about sexual transmitted deseases. Because I know I won't catch AIDS, u gotta have unprotected sex and I never do that. That's something I can prevent so why worry? It's the others I fret about

• Posted

The worst thing about acute anxiety if what your mind tries to tell you. It is one symptom the happens to ALL OF US. I have a brain tumor has been very popular this week. I am dying, I have skin cancer, and on and on. That's what anxiety does best, tries to scare us to death, but THEY ARE ONLY THOUGHTS! A couple of days ago, my mind told me I had a bone disease. I did what I usually do, and have to do often. I said "oh no you don't. You are only a thought, so get lost." Then I changed my focus. That is important. If you just sit there, the thought won't go anywhere but round and round in your mind. Then, I walk the dog, cook, do yoga, clean out a closet, dance to favorite music , or whatever. There is a difference between reacting to a thought and responding to one. Reacting jerks us into fear and freezes us. Response considers what is being said and makes a decision to do something about it, then does it.

Strangely, when something is really wrong, not just a thought, it doesn't come to us with fear and anxiety, just "I need to see a doctor"

It will all be okay. and the more you tell yourself that, the truer it feels. I must tell myself that 40 times a day. It was a good choice to come to this forum. There's a lot of help and caring here. All the very best.

• Posted

Thank you Cia for this. I realized what youve just said. Its all in the mind and how will you react to it. And I think thats it, it a warning for our health maybe thats what this anxiety is trying to say to take care of myself double. God bless you
  • Posted

I am 55 years old and I have had this health anxiety for 11 years I had few years were was ok even went on holiday / I worry all the time I keep getting pins needles so I getting stressed over them I been in and out of work for years I struggle in jobs at present I of again the job I in now been there 2 year and 3 month. And all in all in last year been of 9 months was of 5 month last year now of 4 months this year only managed do 3 month back I got a meeting next week with my HR manager and my manager I don't think I fit for work but may have go back I got my son to think of and rent and bills to pay / I have started taking diazapam 2mg twice a day and citalapram 10mg my mood a little better in the 6 week been on them I have joined I support group 2 hour a week and a mindfulness course which as 2 week left and a art class a 4 week one I am walking for a hour every morning so I really am trying to get better but as today pins needle sensation so worried sick again I sat in my car as can't stay in house any help or advise please x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.