Suffering from Hypothyroidsm

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

My name is Ratnakar, my age is 22. I am suffering from Hypothyroid from past 6 months. My TSH value is 12.24 and dotor suggested me to take medicine of 25 mcg. In between I am suffering from depression, stress, foggy brain, weight gain, face bulging and joint pains. I don't know why this affected me, I guess due to outside and junk food and chewing the food also matters a lot ( how to chew food ). My major two concerns are 

1) I became fat and fate also bulged a  lot with in 2 months, will I loose weight by using right medicines.

2) My hair is also loosing very fast.

Major concern is after I started using thyroixne tablets, I started to know more issue in my body and istead of decreasing weight, I am putting on face fat and loosing mainly after using tablets.

Can some please help me as I need some confidence that I can loose weight with perfect deit and can the throid gland gets under control while using tablets.

How we will know that the dose we use is sufficient to decrease thyroid gland.

Please help me, as it will help to change my life.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Sai, my experience with medications was mixed at best. The levothyroxin was horrible for me, causing more side effects and worsening thyroid symptoms. Because of this, I've had to take a more natural and holisitic approach to my severe thyroid disease.

The traditional belief is that nothing can be done for thyroid disease other than medication, surgery and irradiation. Unfortunately, traditional treatment are hit and miss as far as their true effectiveness, and often result in deteriorated health. However, holistic natural treatments can be incredibly effective, as dietary deficiencies and toxicity are the main causes of thyroid disease.

The best diet is a paleo style, gluten free diet. Absolutely no cheating on the gluten, and completely grain free is best. No wheat, rye, barley, soy, alcohol,  processed foods of any sort, sugar. Limit dairy to yogurt and aged hard cheeses if you must, but best to reduce or eliminate Darry initially.  You'll have to do extensive research on glutenfree diet and paleo diet. It's extremely important that you get enough protein! So a vegan diet is not recommended.

You'll need both a good quality mineral and vitamin supplement. The vitamin should have coblimated B6 and B12.

Amino acid supplements, in the form of essential amino acids are incredibly helpful for thyroid disease. Also whey protein powder is a good source if protein, and you can use this with almond milk and fruit to make healthy smoothies.

Thyroid disease is generally autoimmune disease, so supporting your immune system by providing good, clean, healthy nutrients is important, as well as cleansing to remove chemicals and heavy metals that trigger the immune system. You can take liquid chlorophyll from mulberry leaves, and  turmeric supplements to help cleanse toxins. But active cleansing is also extremely helpful. Regular exercise is extremely important.

That should be enough to get you started. Thyroid disease often takes years to develop, so don't expect these changes to work over night. It will likely take you a few years to get your thyroid disease under control, with or without meds. 

Lastly, you TSH is quite high. This doesn't necessarily indicate severe disease, and you are young, so lifestyle changes should be very effective for you.

Hope that gives you some choices and direction of where to start.

• Posted

You should get your TSH tested every couple of months to see if your dose of thyroid medication is adequate. A mistake doctors make is to keep people on a low starting dose too long.

One common type of thyroid disease is Hashimoto's where the immune system attacks the thyroid. To detect that you would need to be tested for antibodies.

• Posted

Yes.. I was thinking the same thing as Dave..  your doctor should have raised your dose from the 25mcg by now.  6 months is a long time to stay on the starting dose especailly with such a high TSH level.  You should have also had repeat blood work by now.  The optimal TSH is around 1.00 for most people to feel their best, for symptoms to go away and to start lossing weight.  So, ask your doctor for another test to see where your levels are at, being your TSH at 12.00, I am going to say that they did not go down much on that low of a dose, then your doctor will have to raise your dose.  Your levels should be retested around every 4 weeks and your dose raised as needed, until you get to the optimal TSH level of around 1.00 or until you feel better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.