Suggestions?

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi guys, i have only just found out about this website... and i'm not sure what to say or ask you all, but i have been suffering from anxiety attacks lately and my GP recommended this website. It's really hard to make friends when you get these things... I haven't gone out to a pub or a club in months now when I used to be a real party animal. I've slowly alienated myself from friends and I don't really know what to do. I would explain to them what's happening to me but i am so embarassed about this and of my other illnesses that I don't want to scare them away... Do you guys have suggestions? Has this website helped you?

1 like, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

This is a very helpful website. Some ppl have the same symptoms you do or worse. This site is amazing and we all understand and ppl will reply.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi yeah it is very isolating, it is terrible that should feef embarassed about our condition but sadly I feel like this too, my fears and thoughts of having serious illnesses and fear of my daughter ingesting something poisonous is stressful but I can't really tell anyone, or certainly not the whole story,I think website could help us feel less alone and hopeless, take care... 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This forum won't solve your problems, but it's helped me a lot to have somewhere I can come to discuss these things with ppl who understand. It's always reassuring to know your not the only one out there. It gives a sence of perspective. So definitely get involved! Ask whatever you want, you will likely find someone with some useful advice or at least something positive to say to help you through it
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Emilie,

Can I suggest that you should find a clinical psychologist to help you overcome your anxiety, they will use CBT techniques to help you. Avoid medication, it just masks the problem whereas psychotherapy has long lasting result. I have overcome an incredibly profound anxiety disorder with the help of a psychologist. They will be able to help you so much. GP's generally are lacking in knowledge around mental health.

good luck 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

One of the things you can do to help yourself is Cognitive Based Therapy (aka CBT). I used a really good book titled Overcoming Depression and Low Mood a five areas approach (the counsellor suggested this book was better than the one on anxiety). In it are techniques that I think everyone should learn and practise to keep their mind healthy as they go through life. Workbook one is available free as a pdf on google. This helped me enormously.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hey Chris,

Just wanted to say how much I agree with you. Medication does mask the problem.I was on Paxil and it just dulled me to think what got me there in the first place.Psychotherapy is the answer.It helped me because at the end of the day it boiled down to wrong thinking.thanks

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree with chris. Find help soon before you are no the meds. I was too late and are taking 3 different ones....hope you can manage without.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Don't ever feel guilty or embarrassed about the need to take medication.  Sometimes there is a chemical inbalance in our brain that antidepressants can help fix.  Yes, our brain has an incredible ability to heal itself with therapy but this can take a long time.  Medication and therapy together can be hugely beneficial.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up