Suicide through long term drug overdose

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I was diagnosed with severe depression a couple of years ago and prescribed antidepressants which I have taken sporadically - but now taking them as directed. I also had an eating disorder which everyone thinks is under control as I have gained weight, but really I am losing it slowly so no one notices, it makes it easier with the long term plan.

I have decided that after being called stupid by my husband after taking an overdose of paracetamol that the only way to get out of this never ending painful existence is to take a long term overdose. I started about 6 months ago taking about 20 a day in 4 doses of 5, and have gradually increased it to 4 lots of 10, I am still here obviously but just want to die.

My husband doesnt listen - especially if there is sport on tv, my kids are teenagers - so they are instinctively selfish. I have no family or friends. I know what the end will be like as my father died of liver diease, but I see no other way out.

No one sees the agony I go through as I have learnt to wear a mask, but I cant carry on like this much longer, I need it to end soon.

I suppose I am writing this to see if anyone can give me a guide as to how much longer I will have to carry on with this, do I need to increase the dose again or will I have done enough damage so that it is too late anyway........

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

BECAUSE WE CARE smile If you went to A&E they would get a psych team to talk to you and hopefully proper support would start for you. Guilt , self hate, low self esteem are all symptoms of depression . With the right help you would look differently at things.

How long have you been taking anti depressants on a regular prescribed dose? They take a while to kick in and if not having a proper affect you should get a review.

Please take care

PS This is an extremely good and supportive forum-

www.mentalhealthforum.net/

• Posted

hiya mick,

sorry for sounding so brutal and being late in getting back to you, but, you say your not that selfish and that you would refuse a liver transplant, well im afraid that you wouldn't be able to refuse if you were sectioned, to be sectioned you need to be a threat to yourself or others, clearly you are a threat to yourself sad

you say you are having treatment for "a bad rash which is covering most of my body and very itchy" obviously you haven't told your GP about the massive amounts of paracetamol your taking have you ?? so whats the point in seeing your GP about it, for goodness sake its the pills that are causing the rash mick, plain and simple, your GPs not psychic is he/she ?rolleyes

heres an official list of SERIOUS side effects :-

"Hypersensitivity reaction (rashes and shortness of breath).

Blood disorders resulting in readiness to bruise or bleed (e.g. thrombocytopenia) or low numbers of white blood cells (leucopenia).

If any of these persist or you consider them severe then inform your doctor or pharmacist.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

A serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction include: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

In the UK you may report side-effects to the MHRA"

one way or another you've got to talk to somebody about the situation, but in the meantime try and stop the pills eh, cant you see that they are making you feel worse NOT better 8)

as regards buying in bulk, where from, the internet ?? if so it could be any old crap your pumping into yourself, just please stop it now, whatever you pay for the pills, stop and spend the money on the gymn or whatever cheesygrin cheesygrin

again im sorry if im upsetting you but these things need to be said, your family would be devastated, there lives would be mega affected by your death, whether you believe that or not doesn't alter the fact im afraid.

keep posting mick, well get through this wink

cheers,

Ken~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Posted

the whole sectioning thing needs to be adressed. in fact we need to re address this issue entirely. Let the woman be in peace. Life aint that great. for those of you that it is, well done, but for many it is not. Why we are not allowed to get a prescription for a peaceful death after a lot of thought I do not understand. She should not be sectioned and be treated like prisoner with no free will. When I feel like this the last thing that ever stops me getting help is the fear of being sectioned and I also despise at the time people who glibly presume people care and that its going to get better. the way the internet deals with this problem is totally wrong. I have to live life one day at a time. make it one day at a time and I only do it for my family. I hope to find some meaning in my life by trying to stay alive. I cant imagine what this poor woman is going through, I wish she could just escape but without dying. I hope her life changes for the better. I would never section her. She does not deserve that.
    • Posted

I researched this and if you are sectioned you can not be forced to have a transplant without your consent no matter how ill you are. I called mind and asked them. The treatment would be of no benefit to the patient, to get a transplant you have to agree that you want it otherwise whats the point? 
  • Posted

Mollysox, I still dont understand why strangers care and yet my family cant see what is straight in front of them. they see I have been crying but never seem concerned. I have been taking the prescribed dose for 6 months and was on a high dose of prozac but it made me almost brain dead so I was changed onto sertralin at a lower dose. thanks for replying to my discussion
  • Posted

Ken,

Please dont worry about being brutal, I was brought up by my grandmother who was never backward in coming forward, sore subject which I am not going to go any deeper into.

I get the tablets from Costco, so I doubt there is any crap in them, but who knows what goes into half the stuff we use. They cost just under £4 for enough for about 3 weeks, my local council run gym costs over £4 for one session........

The rash is actually getting better even though I am taking the same dose, I wasnt given anything by my gp so it is getting better on its own. I went because my husband made the appointment for me, he was fed up with me scratching and was worried I was infectious........... and it might affect him or the kids.

As far as my family being devastated, not so sure, they would only be upset because I wouldnt be there to do their washing etc or they wouldnt be able to blame me for whatever they have an issue with, my husband would just have one less person to ignore and also he would have to waste less of his money on food, which is probably why I dont eat much either.

It is nice to get others opinions, although I only started posting as I wanted to know how long I had left, every day is just torture, yesterday was really bad, and today isnt too much better.

• Posted

As far as your family are concerned there may be an element of "fear of the unknown" Mental health still carries an enormous stigma attached to it. As was mentioned before you have to want to help yourself BUT I think you maybe have slipped beyond that point which is why you must try and get professional help and support.

I have been treated for a long long time for depression and have an idea how bad you are feeling. I also know that when you are in the Mental Health system there is an enormous amount of help available. Please at least give that a chance before making any final decisions.

Take care

• Posted

Mollysox, many thanks for replying and keeping going with me..... I have been in the mental health system due to my eating disorder, but really dont like the idea of having to open up to someone who is paid to look sympathetic and all the time is thinking what a wimp, lots of people go through problems in life and they cope, that I am an attention seeker and a drama queen.

You are right about the stigma, my inlaws just think I should pull myself together and get on with life

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean but you have to use the system to your own advantage. You can be in control and tell them what you need in the way of help. In my recent experience they want to know what you want not to impose what they think you need.Do you have a MIND office locally as they can offer loads of advice.

Going off line till tomorrow

Take care.

PS telling someone to pull themselves together is no help so ignore smile

• Posted

Yesterday was a really bad day and today has been worse. I felt so low last night I went to bed wishing I wouldnt wake up, tonight I feel the same. I just need this feeling to stop
  • Posted

Yesterday was a really bad day and today has been worse. I felt so low last night I went to bed wishing I wouldnt wake up, tonight I feel the same. I just need this feeling to stop
  • Posted

If you are feeling suicidal, you can:

call the Samaritans support service on 08457 90 90 90

go to your nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department and tell the staff how you are feeling

contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647

make an urgent appointment to see your GP

Please get help now, do not think about other people right now, think of yourself, and getting yourself strong again. I had a severe mental breakdown, I thought my life was over, I got through it, you can too. There are so many of us mentally ill in this world, you re not alone, ever. <3>

• Posted

Hi again,

I think that thinking through everything is just making you worry more and more. It's like a vicious cycle that you need to break. I don't believe you truly want to just give up, on your life, your husband, your children, on the chance of being happy again, and just let yourself feel worse and worse and more low, and your eating disorder get worse and be more and more unhappy. Imagine how good it would be to feel relaxed and content again? Because you CAN get better. It might take time, but really, you have nothing to lose do you? You can't feel much worse, right? So why not just try?

If you don't have someone you can properly confide in about this WHOLE situation (and I mean tablet taking and eating disorder and all) who can go with you, then you're going to have to pick yourself up and decide to make a change and go to the doctors. Just take it a step at a time. Step one: be honest with the doctor. Because how much worse can it get??

All these problems you talk about, they can all be dealt with. For example, your eating disorder CAN get better if you seek help. Many people have. But it won;t get any better until you decide to try.

The cycle you're in is that you need to regain some self-worth before you get help, otherwise you'll just think there's no point and want to give up as you do now; but you need help to regain some self-worth after having this attitude that you are worthless for so long. But you need to break this cycle, and only YOU can do that, no one else. Otherwise you'll carry on feeling this way for the rest of your life and no one deserves to feel like that. No one. Give yourself a chance to feel happy and content and full of life. And dont forget its not your fault that you feel this way so you shouldnt be ashamed or embarrassed; depression can be caused by genetics and there are loads of scientific studies happening right now (Ive just finished a biology degree so trust me, I had to read them all rolleyes) about serotonin (a chemical in the brain) levels and how a lack of or it's receptor cells may cause depression. Many scientists think it does.

"Feeling hopeless and helpless are part of the disorder, and so depressed people are prone to believe there is nothing they can do to help themselves. That is flatly untrue. When people educate themselves and take proactive and deliberate steps to get help, including self-help, the probability of overcoming depression is high. " - from MIND

So, my point is, if you had, say, an ear infection you'd go to the doctors and not think twice right? So what's the difference here? This is a problem, just like that. A problem that you need the doctors advise with, just like that. So really, reallllllllyy, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't go. Just please stop thinking and just do, and just trust everyone on here that it's the right thing to do at this moment in time. And if you return home, after being completely honest with him/her, and think it was a complete waste of time, then you're just still in the exact same position you're in now, whereas if you didn't go you'd just stay in this position anyway! SO you see, not only do you owe it to yourself (and me because I'm worried about you :p ) but all you have is something to gain and nothing to lose!

Good luck and let us know what he says. The beginning of the rest of your life starts when you pick up that phone and make an appointment.

Al

• Posted

Good morning, Al is right in that it is just another problem that the doctor can help with. My GP has often used the same argument. My mother was diabetic all her life so she had insulin to regulate the condition same with depression. hope you have made that appointment

Take care

• Posted

Thanks for caring, I have an appointment for a week on Monday, but am not sure still if I am going to bring up my feelings and my actions, I need to be in the right frame of mind, all the concern from strangers and the nagging is starting to sway me, but I am a very stubborn person and have been planning this for nearly 6 months.

Thinking everything through helps sometimes, but I am not really sure I am comfortable with sharing my thoughts and feelings with health professionals. I dont think that I am that bad, and anyway surely it is my decision - rather like turning the tv off. I dont feel of any use and more alone when the family are around, they just seem to ignore me unless they want something, why cant I just switch myself off?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.