suitable medication

Posted , 6 users are following.

here i want to ask, how we can specify which anti depression medication suitable for us?i'm currently taking setraline nearly 2 months.this condition changed myself to low mood, worse depressed.thanks.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Patrik - you describe a situation that many of us have experienced. Give the meds a little more time and if no good, tell the doc and change meds. Also the dosage may need adjusting.
  • Posted

There are so many different AD's an what may suit one person may not suit another , it would be so good if there was a single tablet that would suit everyone , i have been on different ones over the past 20 or so years , i feel the ones i am on now have made me like you - low in mood , i am on Mirtzapine at night which may GP put me on about 3/4 years ago but even when he increased the dosage in hope that it would carry on to the daytime - make my mood better during the day it never did , Venlafaxine i was put on by psychiatrists at my local mental health centre 2015 an despite me telling them last Summer that i couldn't understand why i still didn't feel brighter about life , they haven't bothered to make chamges to go off it an onto another an the latter part of last year would had been a good time to had done it , it can take time though for a tablet to get used to your body , mind , etc , take care .

• Posted

Hi Patrik

If this is the first medication you have tried as Wayne has said give it a little more time to take effect I was on sertralene myself for a while and I found the transition from one med to the other to be rather up and down for about 8- 10 weeks

There are other factors the Drs consider before prescribing any medication such as current health conditions and living arrangements etc so it's not easy to say what will work best although your doctor should have a good idea of what not to give you i.e. I can't take sertalene now as my liver is goosed and so I'm back on fluoxetine which also works very well for me personally

• Posted

yes, this is my first medication i take, setraline.my doctor have mentioned that the medicine suitable for me which have high blood pressure and cholesterole.
    • Posted

Hi patrik

I feel it only fair to say how I coped with it was through exercise although I realise that you probs won't feel like going out or going to a gym etc however i in my experience have come to realise that a tablet alone is not quite good enough it would be great if it were

However exercise realises feel good chemicals into the body and thereby increases the chances of success it may be worth a try it has worked for me personally and I adviced amanda the same and she is now soring to new heights too and coping better you'll still have rough patches as we all do but it may stack the odds in your favour

Good luck

• Posted

Ps high cholesterol only comes from animal based products may I be as bold as to say try almond or soya milk and cheeses such as parasaman I'm vegan myself so I don't have any cholesterol you can get advice from your doctor once the cholesterol levels drop the blood pressure with start to become under control but get advice from your doctor not to sell up here but there are many alternatives to a meat eating diet such as quorn bean feast if interested I can give you links to places you can order good quality produce from such as vegan chicken strips vegan fish,cheeses all sorts the texture and flavour are exactly the same I ate meat for years and I swear to you there's no difference in taste or texture

Mike

• Posted

somewhere I heard that soya milk contains large amounts of eostrigen  and perhaps that has to be born in mind. I am vegetarian incidentally and obviously do drink cows milk though I am not entirely comfortable about it I would have doubts about soya too.
    • Posted

I thought I would mention that they refer to good and bad cholesterol and that one type is needed for health
  • Posted

well clearly that is not the one for you. I think you just have to go back to your doctor or psychiatrist and explain. Here in Italy as I am they just simply try something else, I have tried heaps of different ones only to settle on one which is not an srri.
  • Posted

I  am just trying alternative naural medication which is 'said' to work on drug resistent people. Although it has been used for  many many years even by psychiatrists I am told it is not proven so I am sorry to say I cannot mention it. However I have yet to see if it works, today is the first day I have taken a whole pill- time will tell I guess.

As I can say you really have to try all the available meds and doses before you find sometrhing that works, only wellbutrin plus lamictol known ans lamotrigine also and gabapetin combination works atall for me and I have bad reactions to all srri's which make me very agitated indeed. Alas now it isnt working so well after years of taking it and I find myself having to take extra gabapentin to quell the anxiety this is my psychs idea, and it does help, I think it is one of the most helpful enrecognised medication. I think like me many people who are depressed dont realise how much is based in anxiety and when that is reduced the depression seems less bad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.