Sunshine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Now at 7 months post TKR. When is it safe to allow sunshine on the scar? Although knowing our British weather by the time I get my legs out it will be raining!

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

As soon as the stitches or staples are gone and it stops draining. Just make sure you use a sunscreen as you don't want to suffer a sunburn to add to your other miseries.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

When I worked on Burns & Plastics we advised at least 1 year for sutures and 2 years for new skin. If your scar is a clean one then its probably OK now but use at least factor 30 sunscreen. If you use factor 50 make sure it doesnt have metals in it i.e zinc
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Look forward to the answer!  I live in Tenerife, and last week my daughter came over for a few days and we sat by the pool and chatted . . overcast, not very hot. . and I competely forgot about not getting the scar in the sun. Result, a bit of sunburn!  doesn't seem to have done any ahrm at all as far as I can see (21 weeks)
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Im 10 weeks post op. n iv had my legs in sun had factor 20 on and just kept putting more on every hour im fair skinned and burn easy but iv been ok .just need some more sunshine now xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well I'm back from a week in the canaries still have lily white legs but the discolouration on my tkr knee is now darker even with factor 30 - bet you're all well jealous !!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hope you enjoyed Gran Canaria!  It's pretty similar to where I live (tenerife) but there are some differences, so perhaps on your next Canaries visit you'll try tenerife!  Gran Canaria does have some spectacular sand dunes, but I doubt it you were up to walking on soft sand. . it's hard enough with perfect knees!  this year summer seems rather late really starting . . (thank heavens!)
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up