Super scared, I need a voice of reason!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Ok, I saw my doctor yesterday because I started noticing a lump in my throat last week. The lump comes and goes, but now I am obsessed with the thought that I might have thyroid cancer. My doctor checked my neck yesterday and said everything felt normal. She sent me to have blood work done for my thyroid though as I seem to be losing more hair and am sweating all the time.

I had hoped to get my results today because the doctor has tomorrow off and I do not want to sit on this all weekend. Even if the blood work comes back abnormal, how will they know if it is cancer or an over or under active thyroid? If it comes back normal, why am I still feeling the lump in my throat and losing my hair? I just started a new job and I am afraid I am leaving a bad impression on everyone that I am an airhead and not a good worker. I am having a rough time trying to get myself under control and focus on work. I have dealt with anxiety for 20+ years now, I would think I might have control over all of this, but lately my health anxiety is out of control. I don't want to feel like I have cancer all of the time. I want to get back to being stable again!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My stepdaughter is going through this right now, she had a lump in her neck and finally went to a doctor and found out it is her thyroid.  Actually thyroid cancer, if any cancer is a good one to have, is the best kind you can get if found early and only affects the thyroid. Upon removal patients usually require no more treatment.  Relax, wait until you get your results back.  Have they started you on any thyroid meds?  My Mom has had graves disease my whole life, she had to drink radioactive iodine and kill her thyroid and take a pill everyday for the rest of her life, you just have to get your levels checked every 3 months I think it is.
    • Posted

Sorry I wasn't clear, it feels like there is a lump in my throat, but there isn't. The doctor thinks this is all anxiety driven, but I tend to always think the worst. The doctor checked my neck and felt nothing abnormal. For me though, all I can do is focus on the bad lately. In March it was breast cancer, then lymphoma, and now this. I just want a rest. I am averaging 5 hours of sleep a night for the past several months. It is killing me. I want to feel better again.

• Posted

Sorry and no meds for the thyroid yet. Apparently I won't get the results until the doctor gets back next week. The lab said I would get results today, but her assistant wrote me a snippy message that they only did the test yesterday so I will have to wait.

• Posted

I understand now, I have experienced the "lump in the throat" feeling before.  It can be caused by anxiety alone.  Possibly by something like acid reflux, which can cause that sensation as well.  So you have any symptoms of that, heartburn, sour stomach, belching excessively? If so that might be causing some of it.  Have you talked to your doctor about dealing with the anxiety with medications and/or therapy? 

• Posted

Oh yes I am being medicated. I am in the process of trying to find a therapist who will accept my insurance as well. I saw someone earlier this year, but I didn't love him. And I don't seem to have reflux issues. I think this could all be anxiety sadly. Today I haven't felt the lump in my throat yet. Sometimes I am baffled that our brains and bodies can do these things to us. I feel like my body is the enemy. I am hoping to get some much needed rest this weekend.

• Posted

My hair has been falling out for a while now, a lovely side effect of anemia and stress.  There are other reasons your hair is falling out, one of them being an issue with your thyroid function.
  • Posted

Hello cfiddy, Sorry to hear your symptoms-----well we both are traveling in same ship but the difference is that i think i have heart disease but i didnot do panic like u now before i do-----------falling of hair i have seen lot of people whose hair down and they dont have cancer in the cancer the hair will fall down after using the medicine of cancer and chemo therpay---------so its clear that you don't have a cancer--------you have any orhee symptoms like a heart burn etc etc if it do so may be u have reflux and u miss judge it and think u have cancer you are normal and u don't have any cancer-------once i was doing work in mycompany i smell the wire burning smell and can u believe i think its may b come from my inside body can u believe hahahahahahhaa thats is anxiety i m nit a roboot hahahahaa i feel laugh at my self now better u should just discuss with ur doctor about anxiety medication lexapro is good medicine just use it

• Posted

Hi.I get a lump in my throat generally when my neck muscles are tense.l don't have health anxiety so it doesn't bother me as l don't fixate on it.You really should ask to see a therapist to help you get your health anxiety treated.Perhaps starting a new job has increased your anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.