Super speedy diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

In the last month I've had three instances of sickness and diarrhea with stomach pain lasting about 6-12 hours. Comes on overnight and leaves me rolling around on the floor in pain. Anyway, last night it happened again and I phoned NHS24 who got me an appt with OOH GP at hospital for 2am. Made it there with husband and baby in tow, GP gave me morphine and anti-emetic and sent me through to the Surgical Observation Unit next door. Blood test showed dodgy liver results so they brought me back in for an ultrasound (could have stayed in hosp to get it done in the morning but I opted to go home for some sleep). Back today at 3pm for u/s which diagnosed gallstones and inflamed gall bladder, saw surgeon about 20mins later in clinic who offered to remove it surgically - this Friday if I like! Total time from 1st call to NHS 24 to this point was about 14 hours!

Because I'll need childcare and so on, I've opted to wait a few weeks until my husband can get time off work, but I just wanted to share this amazing speedy service. (nb my previous experience of 18months waiting for hiatus hernia diagnosis was not as impressive sad)

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Terrific response by the NHS!  Do let us know how it is going.
  • Posted

Possibly better to wait if you can.

One GP told me they do not like taking your gallbladder out if you have recently had an attack and prefer to wait for it to settle down first.

In the meantime keep to a lo fat or even no fat diet.

Good luck with all this, I waited 4 months to have my gallbladder out.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Probably a good point.  After all, gallbladder removal isn't without risk.  Then again Taura's condition might require it.
  • Posted

impressive ..... good luck Taura 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.