Supplements

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone take the supplement TAURINE to help with Afib and Flutter?

I don't mean Magnesium Taurate though I would be interested in your views as well, I already

take a mag supplement (since being diagnosed 7 years ago almost) but have

being wondering about adding Taurine as well as, having heard a lot about it recently, have you had any side effects and does it help with your Afib?

Thanks

Phoebe

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Taurine was one of the first things I tried, and it did seem to help some.

Another thing to try are nitric oxide (NO) foods - arugula may be highest, other green leafy vegetables are also high, butter lettuce is very high, maybe celery. These would presumably help open blood vessels a little wider - anyway I noticed a possible effect, started eating a small (about one ounce) arugula salad twice a day (or mixing it into a larger salad), and it seems to have helped - a lot.

I asked my doctor about NO drugs, that were used 30 years ago, and he just shrugged and said nobody uses them anymore. Arugula is probably cheaper anyway.

• Posted

Thanks for that jx41870, I will definitely try the foodstuff you suggest all except celery ew can't stomach the stuff. I may buy some Taurine powder as well so that I control how much I have, i think the Mag supplement I take helps a little but it is oxide not taurate, I did know much about the different types back then but have learned a lot since.

thanks again

Phoebe

• Edited

I have been taking 400 mg of magnesium glycinate 2 times a day , and TAURINE 500mg 2 times a day. This is all i take for my paroxsysmal afib .. besides 81 mg of aspirin and some fish oil caps.

• Posted

Wow that's interesting, I'm on horrible Bisoprolol and Aspirin and I swear it makes fluttering worse, I also have paroxsysmaI Afib ,will definitely get myself some Taurine and give it a whirl, thanks for your input.

Phoebe

• Posted

incidently I am pharmacist and try to avoid meds when possible .. however sometimes you don't have a choice , case in point my hypertension so i am on some accupril . .. thanks to my type a italian new york personality.

• Posted

Interesting, I take magnesium citrate, apparently magnesium oxide dosen't absorb well in the body. I have A flutter and waiting for an ablation, I'm off to look up taurine...thanks.

• Posted

Christy, I actually had pretty good results with the oxide, but I read what you read and I've tried various others, and they all work about the same for me!

Have you tried drugs for your flutter - beta blockers seem to help me a lot.

Also my little arugula hack - something easy to try, while you're waiting!

Even watermelon - for the arginine and citrulline, which also may produce NO.

I have no idea exactly who these might help, or even for sure if these are what has helped me, but again, any excuse to eat more watermelon can't be all bad!

BTW, insofar as this NO stuff has worked, it did take several weeks before I had results. Most other stuff, like the magnesium, or beta blockers, work within minutes to hours.

And maybe you need NO and beta blockers. Another way to get beta blockers is - dark chocolate! About an ounce, or 30 grams, of 90% dark chocolate, works about as well as the small dose of beta blocker atenolol that I use - the pill does have fewer calories, after all. 😃

• Posted

Hello Chrisy9

I also took many supplements: taurine, magnesium, omega oils, vitamins, minerals. While they helped me in a way, nothing helped me more than the ablation I had more than 1 year ago. My normal heart rhythm has been restored ever since. I encourage everybody to have an ablation since it is the only treatment with high chance of success. All the best to you!

• Posted

Hi, jz41870, I have tried beta blockers, but they made me feel worse.. love dark choc, but haven't tried 90% yet, will definately try that. Excuse my ignorance, but what's an arugula hack? not sure if the magnesium is working yet, not been taking it long... but I did read most people are deficiant so it might do some good hopefully. Thanks for the info.

• Posted

Hi nick38226.

So pleased to hear you've had a possitive outcome with your ablation, was it for Afib or flutter? My consultant says there is a higher success rate with A flutter....still scared to death though! I am having a general anaesthetic as I could'nt keep still for up to 6 hours!! how did you cope? did it take that long? Thanks.

• Posted

I had to Google arugula myself as I didn't know what it was either, it's a green leafy veg, I'm in UK so don't know if we can get it here.

Phoebe

• Posted

Christy, I just mentioned the arugula thing earlier in the thread, I wasn't sure if it would be available in the UK, "arugula" is kind of a joke in the US as a trendy kind of salad green ("kale" is another), just the word "arugula" is enough to make people snicker - but it's widely available, not very expensive, and turns out to be the best at this nitric oxide thing. You can search online for others, certainly beets are also up there, I think butter lettuce (if you have that) is also high, and maybe UK has strange salad greens that would be higher than average, too.

I think whatever the magnesium is going to do for you, it will do within a couple of days, fwiw, it did for me. What dose are you taking, you might try a little higher dose if you haven't yet.

• Posted

had permanent Afib for about 4 years. My doctor recommended me an ablation right after the Afib started. I regret now I didn't listen to him. I was scared of the procedure and I hoped the Afib would go away. Of course it didn't. I had general anesthesia and the procedure lasted for about 4 hours. They say 6 hours because they also count the preparation and recovery time. For me, it was like one minute. I only remember the time before I fell asleep and the time I waked up. I felt some pain for few days after the procedure. I have been in normal sinus rhythm for more than one year. Don't be scared, it is a routine procedure with high rate of success and minimal risks.

All the best to you!

• Posted

I've learned quite a lot about different types of magnesium over the last few months, I hadn't realised there were so many kinds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.