Surgeon Consult

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

So I saw a Surgeon today. He said that the only way to confirm divertivulitis is to have a scan during a flare up. Here in Canada you cannot just get a scan that easily. He said that normally with diverticulitis with antibiotics you should start feeling better after a few days which has been my case. However the last episode it took me 5 weeks to recover which is not consistent with the treatment they gave me or diverticulitis. So he gave me his phone no. And said that my pattern shows I should be having another flare up soon. When that happens I need to call him and he will book me for a CT right away. He said that is the only way to know. He also said that the Bentyl I have been taking is not his best choice but he did not recommend anything else. Now I am stuck. I don't want a flare up but if I don't have one although I can't plan one it is the only way I can be properly diagnosed. If it's not divertiverticulitis then what is it? Also he said if Surgery is required, it

Will make my IBS worse.

Any thoughts?

Vivian

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow Vivian, I'm sorry you have this glitch with your health care and can't get a CT except during a flare up? Try a simple blood test ... It will show infection. Either way, you may want to add fiber to your diet regularly, it might help.
    • Posted

It means you weren't infected at the time . That's good but if you have pouches it could get infected.
  • Posted

My thoughts are with you its a nightmare senario ,my divictulitus kept flaring up and went on to an Enterovesical Fistula which means when I Wee I also poop through my bladder, which makes me wonder if I could have sorted this out sooner.Good luckwith your next flare up
  • Posted

Hi Denise

Sounds like you had it rough. I worry about complications. I don't even know what to eat anymore. I have to do a repeat parasite test but I am now in the constipation phase. If I take restorolax would results be affected?

Vivian

• Posted

Wow. The constipation phase could cause more problems. You definetly need to fix that immediately.
    • Posted

Hi

It is absolutely crazy. I am trying to avoid a flare up but now I need to have one to determine a diagnosis. I do have diverticular pockets and IBS. What if it's neither and it is something else😕

Vivian

• Posted

you poor woman,cant you have a colonoscopy done?(camera up back passage)i also had a scan which showed up diverticulitis and i wasnt having a flare up at the time.i take pentasa in granuelmform,2x2mg per day,this keeps motions on a regular basis,i also take steroids which keep the flare ups at bay,i have now finished my course of these so will let you know what happens after that,i eat most foods and have porrage or cornflakes for breakfast,i also eat two bananas a day.i hope this helps and get well soon,i dont envy you with an op.my consultant is ruling that out until we have tried all  other medication,but steroids seem to work best.I wish you well.
  • Posted

Hello Vivian, I live in Suffok in the UK and got diagnosed in 2006 when I was rushed into hospital in pain.  Hard to recall just what they did then or what the procedure was called - I had to drink a liquid and then they put me in a thing like a huge polo mint and pumped air into me which was agonising so I guess that was a scan of some sort.  Since then, in my local hospital in 2006, 2011 and coming up next month I am to have Colonoscopy; you don't eat for 24 hours; take a medicine the day before to clear bowels and then a camera goes in and winds its way around as the bed gets tipped and turned. That takes internal pictures and they can see the diverticular pockets and which areas of the colon they affect......doubt they could do it mid infection.  You say it took you five weeks to pull back from a bout....if I have two or three flare ups close together (within maybe three to six weeks of each other) it can take a lot longer than five weeks to settle.  I have had monthly bouts since November 2014 and the Consultant says I am heading for surgery.  No way do I want that; but have had ten bouts since Novemeber and just can't pull back to a no-pain situation between bouts so I can see it is coming.  But it is major surgery no two ways about it. I have Cefalexin and Metronidozole antibiotics when I am ill.  I read on here that one lady took a supplement every day of Acipophilis with Pectin and since she started taking it last August; she has not had a bout - so I am now taking it.  One can but hope.  I have been told no seeds, nuts, pips, skins (fruit or pulses), wholegrains and even no mince as there may be gristly bits in it.  In short nothing that may get stuck in the diverticular pockets/pouches that will then sit there and fester. I had been eating peas (skins!) so have stopped them.  My consultant said a low fibre diet when there is inflammation; a high fibre diet in times of health.  Ask your consulant about having a Colonoscopy; it should be able to see the pouches/pockets. Best wishes, Christine
  • Posted

Sorry that should have read Acidophilis!!
    • Posted

Christine, you provided an exact account of having diverticulitis, and it is well written. If you don't follow the appropriate diet recommendations, the surgery becomes emergency instead of scheduled and that is what happened to me, making it life threatening. Then, a two part surgery was in order, 10 months apart. The second reversed the ostomy which isn't always the case, depending on the severity and length of the area infected and removed. I was lucky although I should have scheduled it instead and the process/recovery may have been much shorter.
    • Posted

I dare not even ask "How was it for you?" re the surgery; my brother in law had same many years ago re Colitis; and the second operation did not work so he had to go back to the stoma bag (thus three major operations).  My consultant says I am heading for surgery; and having had ten bouts of the evil diverticulitis since last November alas I cannot argue with him; so unless the next three months are very different; I think my destiny is already written.  I do everything I am told on the do-not-eat front; yet still I get ill every monthsad
    • Posted

Christine, the first surgery--emergency surgery with the bowel perforated made everything more complicated. It was life or death due to poisoning the stomach. You should feel good knowing you'll have the surgery(scheduled) before any emergencies. It took over 6 months to recover.,,,,& 10 months later,the 2nd surgery to reconnect was more controlled and successful. I recovered in two -three weeks. Lots of prayers for you for success. Either way, the stoma/colostomy bag is adaptable and much better than pain, etc with this disease. I was very lucky to have the reversal surgery be successful.
    • Posted

Hello Vic, You must have been in agony when you got peritonitis (which is when any abdominal perforation leaks as I am sure you know). I was in Hospital with a lady who had the same and shall never forget what I witnessed; I do not even want to imagine what she (and you) went through.  She had the same emergency surgery that saved her life. Yes, I know if I have to have planned surgery that I stand a better chance of no bag and a better recovery - but I am dreading what may lie ahead. cry
  • Posted

I had acute diverticulitis without any raised blood works. I had leukocytes in my urine. It took them 2 months before they finally gave me a contrast ct of abdomen and there it was. That was my first episode. It lasted 5 months the pain. It does not have to show
    • Posted

Hi

I have read all your posts. Thank you so much. I am sorry for what everybody is going through. Appendectomy I think I am like you. The diverticulitis is there but it has not yet been identified. The Surgeon said that my pattern seems to be every 2 or 3 months that I have a bout. He said I should be having one soon. Not very comforting. Mind you for the past 2 days I feel like something is brewing. I am getting scared. The pain gets brutal. I start getting pain on and off, I get chills and my bowel movements very irregular. No fever. Feels like a dull aching annoying pain. I am being careful with what I eat

We will see.

Vivuan😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.