Surgeon Consult

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

So I saw a Surgeon today. He said that the only way to confirm divertivulitis is to have a scan during a flare up. Here in Canada you cannot just get a scan that easily. He said that normally with diverticulitis with antibiotics you should start feeling better after a few days which has been my case. However the last episode it took me 5 weeks to recover which is not consistent with the treatment they gave me or diverticulitis. So he gave me his phone no. And said that my pattern shows I should be having another flare up soon. When that happens I need to call him and he will book me for a CT right away. He said that is the only way to know. He also said that the Bentyl I have been taking is not his best choice but he did not recommend anything else. Now I am stuck. I don't want a flare up but if I don't have one although I can't plan one it is the only way I can be properly diagnosed. If it's not divertiverticulitis then what is it? Also he said if Surgery is required, it

Will make my IBS worse.

Any thoughts?

Vivian

3 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Vivian,

I was just recently diagnosed with diverticulitis (two weeks ago) after having a CT scan. I am currently on 2 types of antibiotics and neither seem to be working.  I'm on Metronidazole and Sandoz Ciprofloxacin. I have googled this relentlessly and keep coming up with different and sometimes contradictory results.  Can you shed a light on things to avoid and what I should be taking.  I'm not sure the doctor heard me right.  I told him I had very frequent bm but he told me to only eat ruffage and lots of fibre for the next week.  Does this sound right to you?

• Posted

Hi

I was told to follow the fodmap diet. You can google it. It works for most people. For me because I have IBS it's difficult. I recently tried aloe vera juice and it is quite soothing. The pain can be brutal so I taje an antispasmodic.

Hope this helps.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi

being so new to this I have to ask..what is an antispasmodic?  Would this help when I have BMs?  most times it feels like my insides are twisting or flipping over after one.  I have a constant never ending pressure, discomfort and pain. It feels like something is leaking so I'm going to the bathroom to check all the time.

• Posted

Hi vic

So what about where I've read that when you have a flare up you should rest your bowels and only have clear fluids for the first couple of days? 

being so new to this it's all a bit overwhelming the info I've gotten.  The doctor gave me pamplets but even they condradict each other.

• Posted

Sunni that I'm not sure. Keep up the constant research. I wasn't fortunate to do that. I went into emergency surgery.
    • Posted

Hello Sunni,

I was first diagnosed in 2006 when I was rushed to hospital with horrendous pain. Over the years I got two or three bouts a year; but last November they began coming every month; ten bouts up til July this year!! Varied information re diet depending on which doctor, consultant, dietician you speak to and which web site and which book you read!! They all seem to agree no seeds, nuts, pips, skins, whole grains, pulses, (bar just one who said "the jury is out"). My doctor told me low fibre all the time; BUT the consultant I have just seen said Low fibre when you have pain, or even a liquid diet eg complan, build up, diet sachets, clear soups; to give the colon a rest BUT when you have no pain, then it should be high fibre. So that is what I am doing. I am also taking Acidophilis from Holland and Barrett (UK) which puts good live bacteria into the gut. I have also stopped eating bananas as having seen some dried ones; I realise that they do in fact have a lot of little seeds in the centre!! I have now been one month and five days since the last bout of infections; which is the longest I have been since November 2014.

• Posted

An antispadmodic is something like Buscopan or Colmermin which is a peppermint. When you get inflammation and pain, the gut can go into spasms (sort of contractions) that make the pain worse, and the antispasmodic can calm these and so reduce the pain. I find they sometimes help; and sometimes don't - but will try anything!! Oh yes, and someone on this site said high grade Manuka Honey is a natural disinfectant so I take a couple of teaspoons of that a day. (zap those nasty bugs!!) Very expensive but if it works it is worth it. Holland and Barrett again; sometimes they include it in the buy one, get one for penny sale.
  • Posted

Hi Vivian,

Hope you are doing ok.  I think my flare up has subsided ..(at least I hope)

Just wondering what part of Canada you're in.  Im in Newfoundland.

Sunni

• Posted

Hi Sunni

I am glad you are feeling better. How many flare ups havecyou had. Dud you need anti-biotics.

I am in Toronto.

I will let you know what the Surgeon says.

Vivian

• Posted

Hi Vivian,

I've been experiencing these symptoms for the past few years but because the heath care system here sucks went undiagnosed until I got a new doctor.  My previouse one left and has gone to Ontario..lol  I usually get them about every three or four months and this time after diagnosis I was finally put on Cipro and Meta.  Along with the DIVI I was also diagnosed with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease so it was a double whammy.  I go to see the gastro doctor Oct 1st to see if there is something else going on because I never responded very well to the antibiotics.  I also have a family history of Crohns so they're going to look into that too.  I think I flipped some kinda switch when I turned forty in July..lol

All the best

Sunni

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.