Surgeon has gone through details of my revision surgery, less than 8 weeks to go.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had all the usual pre-op tests (again!) yesterday, & had the longest apointment with my new surgeon since seeing him in June. The op. is booked for the 27th October. He is stripping out all ligaments, but the ones he replaces them with are not hinged ones, as suggested by another person awaiting a revision, he said they have a tendency to loosen around the 5 year mark, so uses another sort (which I can't find online). He was not going through the usual "this may not work" line this time, infact, I left the hospital pretty upbeat, as he said he is aiming to give me what I should have ended up with when I had the primary TKR, i.e., a knee that works. He said I should be able to kneel, get down again (& more's the point - get up again) to play with my young grandchildren, stairs will not be a problem etc etc. I should be able to walk our 2 lively dalmatians (we adopted them as 7 yr olds just 6 days before I had the TKR, & I have never had the stability to walk them) - he also said the "buckling" would stop. This has cheered me up so much. Of-course, I will have to work hard - my main "job" now, pre the revision, is to try & de-sensitive the right side of my knee - by brushing, massaging & generally touching it all the time, no matter how much I hate the pain/feelings.

SO- for the 1st time in almost a year - feeling positive.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Wow that sound good and also according to those who tend not to be on this site quite possible. He must be confident in his results to tell you that so put your trust in him and get prepared over the next few weeks. Look forward to hearing how it goes. Great advice about the desensitising I am going to try the brush right away.
  • Posted

That's really good news, Veronica, and so pleased to hear that you are feeling so positive about it now.

The time will whizz by, I'm sure, and you'll soon be on the mend again.

my surgery...to open up my knee again and remove the excess scar tissue...is creeping get up on me fast now (25 Sept), so I'm beginning to go through all those pre-op preparations at home again (as I live on my own).  I've had a wasted year really and can't wait to get back to normal too.

wishing you all the best.

Patsy

• Posted

He went through the anaesthetic details too, the chosen route is a spinal injection (always thought that was the same as an epidural, but he explained the difference), plus a "tap" in the groin with a tube attached, where they will top up the numbness, & also a sedative. All this is better for me & my high BP, than a general. Again, I felt confidence in him, just wish he didn't look about 18!!
  • Posted

Thats brillirant news Veronica! 

We can count  down together, my 2nd TKR is on October 29th, and Im really looking forward to getting rid of this flippin' arthritis which is blighting me constantly!

Your Surgeon sounds really positive of a good outcome, and that makes such a difference - if they sound even the slightest bit unsure, or even a bit blase about the procedure, it can be really upsetting. 

Re the desensitising - my scar has been playing up lately - just one section, only a few centimetres in length, but it feels like Ive got needles jabbing into it. So I have started massaging it, quite firmly, with Bio Oil a few times a day, and its making a big difference. Hopefully your technique will be successful for you. 

Heres hoping the next 8 weeks fly by! xx

• Posted

good for you veronica like me you have to take the chance and he sounds sooo positive which is exactly what you need i wont lie to you  you will be scared when it comes i was very scared and was shaking going down this was my last shot at it but im so much better and im only just back from walking my dog im 12mths post revision and it has taken this ling to recover and have energy and to be honest it will take another year to be really strong but i dont mind that im having a life now yesterday i went into town and was walking around for a few hours yes when i got home i was tired but hey im almost 58 and at 58 its ok to get tired after shopping for a couple of hours anyway im so pleased for you and cant wait to have you back telling us how well your doing  x
    • Posted

Thanks Linda. It's so good to know you can walk the dog - & walk around for a few hours! Just getting in & out of my car is hell still at the moment, so I look forward to a new "me"!!
    • Posted

before my revision i could not even think about doing any of those things so you will have alot to look forward to

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.