Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been offered surgery for my diverticulitis and am feeling really scared. Because I also suffer from painful bladder syndrome the surgeon

has said that he can't guarantee that the operation will cure me.

Anyone had the surgery? Is it very painful and what is the recovery time? Any info would be great.

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Are you in the US they don't really do surgery in the UK unless you are really bad I have read on here that some people who have had surgery feel 100 percent better but a couple of them didn't I suppose it's individual. Sorry I am not much help

• Posted

I'm in the UK. I have severe diverticulitis.

I'm worried about post op, plus if it's not my bowel

causing all my pain I will have had the op for nothing and

still be in terrible pain, but saying that I feel that I have to

take the chance as It could really help.

• Posted

I hope it all works out for you. I have multiple diverticula and have lots of flares. I had an appointment last week to see a consultant privately but my daughter broke her foot so I have rearranged for 2 weeks. Please let me know how you get on with your op
    • Posted

Good luck with the consultant. I have been in hospital

so many times that the operation is the only option left to me now. I'm dreading it and would love to hear from others that have

been through it but I suppose they are living their lives and don't

post anymore. I'm nearly 70 so feel age is against me.

I had a c section 36 years ago, I wonder if it's similar 😕

• Posted

I was 70 in april I was told that most people of my age have it but they don't know. I am sure they wouldn't operate unless it was really necessary

• Posted

I'm going to a colorectal surgeon myself tomorrow...I've been dealing with this horrible disease for over five years. Every flare-up gets worse. I'll keep you posted ...

• Posted

I am going to see one on the 25th I have heard they don't like to operate in the UK unless there is no other alternative. So I will wait and see what he has to say. I was only diagnosed last year but I think I have had DD for years used to put it down to a nervous tummy Good luck today let us know how you get on x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.