Surgery: Doctor didn't warn me...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 57yo, had lap. gallbladder removal surgery 5 days ago. Was sent home same day of surgery. I was given an anti-nausea patch just prior to being wheeled into surgery. It was to last about 72 hours and would help with anesthesia nausea; it did smile The day the patch came off, I started feeling sickish. I developed a metallic taste in my mouth and brushing my teeth several times a day didn't help. This eventually led to full nausea (burping, pressure, slightly dizziness...). No appetite, everything tastes horribly salty and bitter :P I've had saltine crackers, prune juice, a few pancakes.

I specifically asked the surgeon what to expect after the surgery and what side effects there are to having a gallbladder removed. Other than mentioning possible short-term diarrhea, he said there were NO side effects, no special diet, nothing to adjust to.

Over the weekend (yesterday), the nausea worsened and I took an anti-nausea pill I had left from a recent kidney stone episode. It did relieve much of the issues and today I am waiting for a callback from the Dr's office. The nurse I spoke to this morning had never heard of these 'symptoms'.

Suffice it to say, if this is normal stuff, I will be royally peeved that the doctor did not properly address this when I asked for details ! If this is normal, of course I'll be glad it's nothing to worry about but if the terrible taste and nausea flare up more, I really need to know what to do to fix this !

Would love to hear from those with experience with metallic taste and nausea. What do you do to combat this ? Thank you so much for your help smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, sorry you're feeling so ill.  GP's and surgeons don't seem to know much about what happens after surgery, I find.  Try to get referred to a gastroenterologist, a doctor who can most likely help you.  

I would think that the nausea would dissipate after a while.  In the meantime, keep to low fat meals and eat small and frequent meals.  

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do!

• Posted

Thanks. I will try the frequent meal suggestion~ I do think you're right about surgeons not knowing about the 'after effects'. Just got a callback from the nurse and her only recommendation was try a warm water rinse. :P  Take care~

• Posted

You're so welcome!  When I was recovering, I started to carry a mug of warmish tea with me everywhere.  Though before and after I recovered, I limited my sugar intake, I found that if I kept it sweetened with sugar (don't use sugar substitutes, they mess with your digestion and your gut flora) I felt just a bit better! xxx 

• Posted

Keep in mind that you are only 5/6 days out of surgery too.  I would ask for and something that will help you if the nausea hits.  I HIGHLY reccomend Compazine (Prochlorperazine).  I was given something else for nausea, but this pill works getter by far.  

I honestly feel that NOBODY does their job like they're supposed to anymore! Fast food places are THE WORST and then it just trickles down into other vocations from there.)

I hope that you find the answers you need Gall!  I can only help with the nausea.  Good luck, my friend!

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply ! It is helpful to be reminded that it's only been a few days~ I will ask the Dr. for more pills for sure.

Hugs~

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.